Steeda G-trac bar....doesn't fit??? Anyone have pics of one installed?

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I bought one of these used

gtracbar.jpg

It looks exactly like the picture but doesn't say G-trac on it. Big deal as it's used and i figured it was a decal anyway.

I crawled under the car today to install it. I found the two holes it was supposed to mount to but whel i lined up the bar, i found it was about 3" too long!

I looked around but there was no other place for it other than these two holes in the K-member. But the bar was too long and wasn't going to fit.

Now, do i have a Steeda bar, or does someone else make a bar that looks indentical to that?

Steeda only makes two of these things...one is for convertibles and one is for hatch/coupes. Is it possible i have the convertible bar? The convertible bar only comes in chromoly and this bar is mild steel (it's heavy) so i think i have the bar for my model.

Does anyone have a pic of this bar installed?

• Sponsors (?)

Ok after poking around, i guess you need to drill the two holes to mount it. The two i was looking at are not the mount holes.

Now, i don't have instructions...so where the hell do i drill the holes?

Well... I have a 4 point so it mounts to two different places. One is about 20.5" or so and it is right between the control arms. The other is 28.5" and is right behind the control arms. I looked under my car and I don't even see where something that width would bolt too. Maybe you should give Steeda a call and see what they think. Is it possible it's for a SN95?

Fox Saleen 163 said:
Is it possible it's for a SN95?

I looked, but they don't even offer the bar for SN95's on their website.

http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/gtracbar.htm

They have three bars, and i'm pretty sure the one i have is the mild steel one (because the steeda STB i have is chromoly and light as hell). Both parts came off a '93 Cobra.

I did take a peek under the car and i couldn't really find any good place where i would drill to mount this thing.

I did me a search and noticed other members mentioning having to drill to mount this

I can measure mine tonight if you want. I know I had to drill both holes in the rear part of the K member on each side. I basically just slid it around till I found a spot that was equal on both sides and room to drill the holes without the bar binding on a seam or ridge of the K member.

You mean Steeda designs it so you have to drill holes to bolt it in? That sucks. I mean, it's not that hard, but there are so many holes and bolts down there already it's easy to just make one that bolts in. Oh well. I hope you have a sharp drill bit!

BarnStang said:
I can measure mine tonight if you want. I know I had to drill both holes in the rear part of the K member on each side. I basically just slid it around till I found a spot that was equal on both sides and room to drill the holes without the bar binding on a seam or ridge of the K member.

That's actually what i kinda figured, but i wanted to make 100% sure before i drilled anything.

Anyway you could snap a quick pic? I kinda know the area i think it should go but want to make sure

I can try. It sits pretty low. I'll have to jack it up pretty high to get under there. I was going to just run a tape measure accross it from the side. The picture may not be that great...but I will give it a shot. Now that I have a cool digital camera. Not sure how I ever lived without one...

Well anything you can do for me would help. I am pretty sure it is a G-trac bar.

But a picture would really help me out, but if it's a pain in the ass for you don't worry about it really

Here are some pictures. Keep in mind they are at a poor angle with the car up on a jack. The length of the bar center to center is a bit over 23and a half inches.
Sequence: Passenger side-Front, Driver side-front, both-front, driver side-rear,pass-rear

Attachments

• passfnt.JPG
    passfnt.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 154
  • drvfnt.JPG
    drvfnt.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 159
BarnStang said:
Here are some pictures. Keep in mind they are at a poor angle with the car up on a jack. The length of the bar center to center is a bit over 23and a half inches.
Sequence: Passenger side-Front, Driver side-front, both-front, driver side-rear,pass-rear

BarnStang thank you very much! A picture is truely worth a thousand words! I appreciate you taking the time to do this for me.

Now i have something to do on my next day off.

1 more thing, did you notice any difference when you put it on?

BarnStang said:
The forum won't let me post the last two. Let me know when you get these so I can delete them and add the shots from the rear. The last shot is the best as I got directly under the mounting point.

Yes, i saved those three pics so all set for the next ones

OK, the last one is the driver-rear and it's really small but I got it past the forum restrictions

Yeas, noticed a big differencr especially with the strut tower brace.

Geeze, found the original instructions...

Position G-trac bar on K-member parallel with the front of the bellhousing, centering the mounting ends on the rolled l-member flange as shown.

Mark the K-member with a grease pencil and drill one 15/32 dia hole on each mark.

Bolt the G-Track bar in place with the bolt heads at the top and the nuts at the bottom.

i think I put the bolts in upside down...oh well, it's been on there several years and has noot fallen off...

I doubt i can get a scanned image on this post...

Attachments

• smalldrvrear.JPG
    smalldrvrear.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 152