Steeda Timing adjuster causing a bucking-surging problem

I've been trying to track a problem down for about 2 years now. at about 1800-2200 rpms with light throttle application the car will surge back and forth very lightly. At WOT or above or below those rpms there is no problem. At times the car will throw codes for the front 02 sensors If I drive aroune those rpms too long. I've been playing with the timing adjuster advancing or retarding timing. When I retard the timing to 12 or 10 which is stock the surging or bucking seems to be solved. Is the computer trying to pull or add timing at those rpms competing with the timing adjuster? Have others had this problem? Is it better to get a custom tune with a chip or ECU flasher?

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, what octane? This is a known issue with timing adjusters. It is recommended to gradually advance the timing until surging is encountered then back it off until it goes away.

Another thing: Sometimes the timing adjusters are not giving you a "real" value. It is possible to have it set to 12 but it is in reality 15 degrees. Every car is a bit different.

I had 3 5.0's that did the same thing everytime I bumped the timing and ran 93. Basically I just learned to live with it and tried to stay out of that rpm range. Can be real annoying but the performance gain IMO was worth it. Haven't done any timing mods in my 4.6 cause I'm a cheap F and won't buy 93 at 2.49 per.