Steel Braided Hoses

Why's up folks. I was interested in getting some steel braided hoses for my 91 LX. I see the steel braided fuel lines on LMR and AM but I want some heater and radiator steel braided hoses. Are they available for the Foxbody? If so, where can I buy them?? Thanks! (I'd like to see some pics if possible too!!)

-Sean

• Sponsors (?)

Why's up folks. I was interested in getting some steel braided hoses for my 91 LX. I see the steel braided fuel lines on LMR and AM but I want some heater and radiator steel braided hoses. Are they available for the Foxbody? If so, where can I buy them?? Thanks! (I'd like to see some pics if possible too!!)

-Sean
Braided hose can be used for whatever purpose you designate it. It doesn't care what it's "labeled".
In other words, in most cases, the heater hose sizes are 1/2" and 5/8" (Possibly even 3/4")

Commensurately, you get a section of either -8, or -10 hose to fit. ( possibly even -12)

But, then you'd have to use a bogus "fake" hose end that looked like an AN end but was actually a cover to hide the typical hose clamp that's used on regular heater hoses.

As for the upper, and lower radiator hoses....-16 through -32....it depends on the size of your hose (each 1/8" in diameter is another number on the AN gauge...) However, once the hoses start getting over 1" inside diameter, the hose selection jumps to 1/4" ID options (1"/1.250"/1.500".......) And when you get into the really big hoses, they dont want to bend at all.

Then, you'll have to use the stupid fake hose end covers on those as well, or convert your radiator inlet/outlet over to allow a real end to screw on. Depending on whether or not you invest in a really expensive electric water pump, the option to have the WP w/ a screw on end is also available,..if you use a conventional belt driven pump,...then,...not so much.

I'd imagine that there are probably slip on adapters that will allow you to convert "nipple" fittings to AN style hose end fittings, so that may be out there as well.

So,.......all this to say...
Yes, you can buy AN style hose for every single thing that needs a hose on your car. All you got to do is ask DR. Google.

That, and go get a loan at the bank to buy all of that stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
+1 to what Mike said.

Just google it, it is out there. Converting your radiator to an fittings can be done, none of this is cheap, but you didn't mention money being a problem.

Good luck with it, post pictures if you follow through. It should look really sweet.

I'm sure you can find the right size at Earl's or Russell, but yiou will then need to have the corresponding AN fittings welded onto your radiator, thermostat and waterpump. The SS hose covers and fake end caps went out in 1990 and look very ricer.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm probably one of the few crazy enough to do all AN fittings for my radiator and heater lines. It's easily $500 in fittings and hoses. I used 1/2" aluminum tube in place of the heater lines, flared at the ends to adapt back to AN fittings.

DSC_3936-2_zpspd66tns5.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
as often as i make AN lines... id rather not have any on my car. but i know i cant get away from it at this point.

if you do go with AN lines be sure to buy good line and fittings! and pull test EVERY ONE!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Keep in mind that real AN fittings require a 37 degree flaring tool. A standard automotive or household plumbing tool is 45 degrees and cannot be used with AN flare fittings. If you do, the flare is subjected to too much stress when the fitting is tightened, and is likely to fail or leak.

See http://www.mscdirect.com/ , http://www.mcmaster.com/ or for the flaring tool you will need . Prices start at $85 and go up

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?PACACHE=000000013509163
7478363-11.jpg

http://www.mcmaster.com/#flaring-tools/=b4fxc3
2691a14p1-a03al.png

Last time I was in Summit racing, they had a 37 degree flaring tool for less than $40. It may or may not be a catalog item.

as often as i make AN lines... id rather not have any on my car. but i know i cant get away from it at this point.

if you do go with AN lines be sure to buy good line and fittings! and pull test EVERY ONE!!!

That's the truth. I bought pressure tester fittings and tested every line I made to 100 psi. I found leaks in 2 fuel lines during the pressure test.