Steering squeak?

Power4

May 10, 2004
Rochester, NY
I've noticed that my steering squeaks quietly now when I turn it just a little bit. It sounds like it's coming from the area where the steering column goes through the firewall. I was thinking of spraying some WD-40 or silicone spray on the area to see if that gets rid of it but I'm not sure how safe that is. Would it be dangerous because of the heat from the engine to use some sort of lubricant like that on both sides of the firewall where the steering column goes thru? Anyone have any suggestions on what to use that would be safe?

• Sponsors (?)

So I tried some lubricant on it and it didn't help at all. I brought it into the dealer a few days later for an oil change and asked them if they could check out the squeaking sound. Apparently it's not coming from the area I thought it was, it's actually the steering rack. They're going to replace it in a week. Just an FYI in case anyone comes across the same problem.

Hmmm, is it actually a squeak, or more of whine? My steering column "whines" a little every time I turn (it isn't just the power steering pump I'm hearing). My dealer told me it is normal and others do it, although it drives me nuts. Although, my fiancee's 2002 Escape makes a similar noise.