Steering wheel extenders? Any ideas?

bynumj

May 21, 2007
Portland
Does anyone out there have any ideas on how to extend the steering wheel out? Are there any aftermarket kits available? I have a 07’ GT Premium and love it. The only thing that really bothers me is the location of the steering wheel. I know this sounds little weird but hear me out. I am 6’3” and by the time I adjust my seat to a comfortable height and back far enough to keep my knees out of the dash, my arms are extended out almost straight (maybe a 5-10 degree bend at the elbow). I like to have the steering wheel a little closer for better control and handling (approx. 35-45 degrees of bend at the elbow). Ford decided not to have a telescoping feature in the design so I am looking for an aftermarket solution. Ideas anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

I've been trying to find the same answer. 6'2 here, and if I'm close enough to the wheel to bend my arms, my head touches the roof. Anyone know of a steering wheel extension? Is there an aftermarket wheel that comes closer to the driver, and for that matter, can you replace the wheel at all? I don't need an airbag.

Ditto, and I'm 6'4". The interior just seems to be arranged such that the wheel is not proportionally distanced with the pedals & dash. To get comfortable with one is to ruin your comfort with the other.

Car & driver mentioned this as one of their 2 or 3 complaints with the entire car (not bad).

Ya'all need to get some size...I'm 6'8" and just got my 05 GT Tuesday. I love it, but it is a little tight. My 7 series Bimmer has the telescoping feature...it's nice. I would suggest checking for aftermarket wheels, of course you would lose the Airbag.

i'm in the same boat...erm mustang lol. i'm 6'7 and i drive an 03 gt, i got a seat track extender which did wonders for my leg room but now i really need to find a steering column extender, i was told they are made i'm just trying to hunt one down.

Other than a jeep truck that I had, this is the second best fitting car that I have had. My old Focus wagon was a slightly better fit, it had an inch more headroom. I need to sit up straight cuz my back has been a problem for more than ten years. If you sit with your head a half inch off the headliner the reach to the steering wheel isn't bad at all. BTW I'm 6'4".

Pssst... An adjustable pedal assembly can be retrofitted.

Steering Column has to be tested with air bag in that specific model.
Not likely anyone wants to take on the expense and liability.

Im 6'2" with short arms and average length legs and torso and I dont have a problem. Seat full down, adjust slider and tilt until my head is at the tallest point in the ceiling and I can cross my wrists while gripping the wheel at the top. Gives a roughly 15 degree bend in my knee with clutch fully depressed. Head does rub just a little when wearing a helmet.

As a comparison I cant set in a Crossfire with the seat in any position without my head in the roof. Never mind drive!

6' 1" and fit fine, but my wife can't get the go pedal to the floor with her boobs squished against the steering wheel.

The 2005 is a considerable improvement over the '96 Eclipse I used to drive ... I never did fit in there right, just got used to having my knees in the dash I guess.