STI Brembos on a FOX

93titanium

Jan 3, 2002
I'm posting this with my brother (tturbo90lx). Our latest mod to his Twin Turbo Lx has been the braking... The car just recieved the royal treatment from the body shop and while it was there the wheels got spinning so here's a couple of the mods/changes lined up:

Upgraded Fuel Pump
Racecraft Springs (Installed)
T-56 swap (Install in progress)
3.73 gears (Complete Rear Installed)
Custom Rear Disc Brake conversion using Mitsu. Evo Calipers
SN-95 spindle swap using Subaru STI Brembos (Complete, pics attached)

All the work is done by us and time is the major hurdle. Anyway for you guys that are interested I'm attaching some pics of the front brembo install. The calipers are rough and will be refinished but it gives you an idea. For anyone that may want more info feel free to PM me or email [email protected] .

-John

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 3,666
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 2,507
Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Well, while i don't think it matters what grand the calipers came from (who cares if they came off a Mitsu if they work?), my question is what makes this worth the effort? Is it something that's cost effective as opposed to something you would get aftermarket? Or does this require you lucking out and finding an STi sitting in a junkyard or something?

Thanks guys,

As far as cost effective I think so... if you want better brakes on a fox body there aren't many options. If you go 5-lug the only two options will be lincoln rotors which are stock performance wise, or sn95 spindles with some sort of sn95 brake combo. Also there are plentiful quantity of used STI and EVO brembo calipers to be had on the internet for cheap. So here's your break down:

SN-95 spindles - $100. (sometimes they even come with good rotors)
Pair of used brembos - $300 to $500.
Rotors - $200-300 new.

Anyway the bottom line is fox body brakes suck in stock form and if you're making serious power or drive the car hard at times, you need to upgrade.

Coming from a road racing background brakes aren't brakes unless they're Brembo. Now a days everone has brembos, big lips on the rear rims for show... but the truth is it originated from racing with a purpose.

BTW any true brake kit for most cars is going to cost upwards of $1300.

my 2cents.

-John

As for the rear setup im waiting on axles this week and being im in albany pics should be in by sunday night im only home1 1/2 days a week, progress is slow but doing things right the first time is a must, no cut corners on this project. What makes this setup so grand is the balanced braking of these 4 pot calipers , while the design also added more than a 1/2" of pad surface to the rotor, i would say in the whole picture a hell of alot of performance now generated to stoping this pony in it's track's. As far as cost check ebay alway's look around the deal's are there with patience, i just cant see paying whatever it is the going rate for these played out cobra set's or paying the crazy amount for the "R KIT" , willwood, ap and so on. Anyways it's the route i chose and final thought is how many other's are out there i think not many so it is very appealing being different . said and done the parts vary but let's say 700$. My own time in fabbing =priceless braking and endless ohhhhhhh's and ahhhhhhh's. Thanks for viewing. As my brother stated above the parts in this setup may be cheaper im just giving a quick run off my head which is rattled at this point.

I think its pretty badass, brembos arent cheap brakes, and the bottom line is they work, and better than the cobra kit for sure.

How did you bolt the bracket up? did you make a custom one or does it bolt to the stock one?

So wait a minute - STi Brembo's bolt right up to SN95 spindles???

This is bad ass. I already have a 5 lug swap with all necessary booster/proportioning valve changes. If this is true, i could just get rid of my 2 piston PBR's and bolt up some brembo's in the front.

my stainless lines, 10th anniversary calipers, and slotted/drilled rotors cost me $400 from my ford guy?

do the brembos just bolt up? whats needed to make them work on the sn95 spindles?

i love the idea, just curious how much effort to make it work. i very well may do this for the bling factor.

Thanks again guys.
I have to apologize for not being clear, in order to run these brembos there has to be some modification to the spindles. They will NOT just bolt on.

I can simplify what needs to be done to some extent because I may look at offering this to others down the line if there's interest.

Parts used:
94-95 Spindles
13" Cobra Rotors
05 STI Calipers

The only modification required to the spindle is adjusting for the different bolt pattern. One OEM hole is used which centers the caliper with the rotor, it also locates the caliper perfectly with the rotor arc and pad surface. The rest is kinda my R&D. In the end you have a complete bolt in caliper.

I hope this helps out.

-John

Guys, there already are direct bolt-on Brembos for the Mustang. There has been for 9 years.

M-2300-B

Ford Racing Performance Parts [M-2300-B]

Basically Focus RS calipers. They are the EXACT same calipers as the 2000 Cobra R except for the color. No mods needed at all. I beleive Buy Ford Racing Parts! was selling them for $599/pair. As long as you have SN95 spindles, and 13" rotors, it's pretty much a direct bolt on. It's not a very popular upgrade but if you check out Web Page Re-director and look in the road racing forums, you'll find plenty of guys using the RS calipers on an SN95 Cobra 13" rotor.

Here's a shot of them installed on a 99+ Mustang.
DSC00051%20(Medium).JPG

Look around for a used set of the Focus or Cobra brembos. They pop up from time to time and can be had for ~ $400-500. A lot of the import Brembos are designed for a slightly smaller rotors and will need a custom bracket fabbed up to work with a 13" rotor.

Well right now i have two pairs of Cobra calipers for the front. I was debating just selling both sets and picking up a set of the RS Brembos. I think the silver looks damn sexy.

Curious to see how the rear STI/350Z/G35 calipers bolt up. I'd like to install a set if i do the front Brembos

Yes you are correct, there are slight differences to the brembos I'm using and the cobra R kit. Also owning both a mustang and a turbo svt focus I know that that kit is not seen too often or that cheap, which is what lead me to look outside the box. I plan to do the same on my Focus using Nissan Sentra SE-R brembos which are meant for smaller rotors (12").
For guys looking for an alternative this can be an option thats all I'm saying... For others maybe a bolt on kit is better.

-John