Sticky door lock

axionjaxon

Founding Member
May 7, 2001
San Diego
On my passenger side my door lock is really hard to lock or unlock now. It's power, and the power motor can't even pop it open anymore. I sprayed the mechanism in the door down with wd40 from behind the door panel, and still its very hard to operate. Anyone experience a similar problem, and how did you fix it?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

the power door lock motors go out and freeze up. eventually you wont be able to unlock it, and it will be hard to even open the door. the stock door handles are plastic inside too...they usually brake off trying to open the door. you have to open the door, take the panel off, roll up the window and rip out the power door lock motor. you can replace the motor (which has to be studded in) or you can just leave the motor ripped out and you now have manual locks and no more freezing up locks or broken door handles. I just left mine manual locks.

I agree that it's the motor. They're not hard to replace at all, for the first time it will probably take an hour, and most of that will be getting the door panel off.

Do a search for actuator for good info/tips.

Follow this link to fix your door lock actuator problems http://jrichker.stangnet.com/Mustang_tech/door_actuator_fix/1_of_8_door_actuator.htm

Stuck with door lock actuators that don't work and don't want to pay the $50+ for a new one? Tried the junkyard ones and found that they last six months and freeze up?

A new actuator for less than $4. Fix one side for $17, do both sides for only $23. I don't sell parts, I don’t make any money off of the upgrade, I just tell you how to do it cheaply and easily.

also, if you rip out the lock motor/actuator and just leave it dangling in there, it can get caught up and 'jam' the lock. It happened to me. so just completely take the motor out. The only problem I had was ripping them out without scraping up my hands and forearm...I don't know if it unhooks, but I just grab ahold of it and giver'er hell lol :flag: