Stock gear 3.27 1/4 times and mph (NA ONLY)...

2000GT

Founding Member
Nov 30, 1999
I am curious if cars with 3.27's can produce just as good (or better) track times as cars with 4.10's. I am not interested in cars with blowers because those cars are in a whole different league. I am looking for NA cars that have hit mid 13's to very high 12's. Is it possible with just bolt-ons?

All I ever read is how every NA Mustang should have 4.10's and 3.27's are crap. Let's see...

• Sponsors (?)

Actually let me rephrase since I read your bolt-ons part. My best time is not SAE adjusted & I couldn't get 1st gear to sync. But I should've been able to hit 13s, can't say whether mid or not. My guess 13.7 or 13.8 w/ my bolt-ons.

all things being equal i.e.-driver, mods etc..... a 4.10 geared car will be quicker. but it is very possible to get those times with 3.27 gears. i think it was jayZ or jayC (can't remember which one) hit those times not too long ago..... just to name one.

It can be done w/ 3.27s. The driver just has to get 1st to sync up, something I could never master. I don't see how but hopefully the 4.10s will help. I'll probably lose more 60' time but hopefully more than make up for it afterwards. Maybe I need to run some Nitto DRs. But I like my Fisks, though 275s on the rear would help to. I still got the 245s. Hard to find $$$$ to do all mods @ once. & no matter how many I do I still can't Supercharge.

downsouthman1 said:
It can be done w/ 3.27s. The driver just has to get 1st to sync up, something I could never master. I don't see how but hopefully the 4.10s will help. I'll probably lose more 60' time but hopefully more than make up for it afterwards. Maybe I need to run some Nitto DRs. But I like my Fisks, though 275s on the rear would help to. I still got the 245s. Hard to find $$$$ to do all mods @ once. & no matter how many I do I still can't Supercharge.

if you can't hit first hard & nail it, you might want to have the tranny checked. it sounds like your 2nd gear syncro has headed south, cause with practice the timing of the shift shouldn't be a problem :shrug:

My synchro's fine. Besides the SPEC stage 2 that's being installed ought to fix that if it is messed up. It's just that my car has a horsepower or 2 too many to be slammin' the gas off the line & the stock clutch can't hold the gear.

downsouthman1 said:
My synchro's fine. Besides the SPEC stage 2 that's being installed ought to fix that if it is messed up. It's just that my car has a horsepower or 2 too many to be slammin' the gas off the line & the stock clutch can't hold the gear.

:scratch: a clutch will not fix a syncro. a syncro is a part in the tranny that essentially slows down one gear to go to another. other wise the gears would grind, because one would be spinning too fast.

2000GT said:
Come on, there has to be some cars out there doing low 13's with bolt-on's and stock gearing.

Let's see those ET's!

i'll let you know what i run, if i can put off my 4.10 install until after my trip to florida, in march. i'm hopefully going to run in true street at fun ford weekend down there. my only mods should be l/t's, prochamber, 315 drag radials, & possibly control arms. :nice:

brian98gt said:
i've seen plenty of mustangs with stock gears in the mid 13's to low 13's including my 02 gt vert
I hit 13's all day long and my car has the stock 3.27's and is NA, my mods are in my sig., if i had slicks or drag radials i could pull off a low 13 easily. I recently removed my rear spoiler, so this weekend if the weather co-operates i'll get some times and see if this has helped any.

c2see21 said:
all things being equal i.e.-driver, mods etc..... a 4.10 geared car will be quicker. but it is very possible to get those times with 3.27 gears. i think it was jayZ or jayC (can't remember which one) hit those times not too long ago..... just to name one.

JayZ recently ran a 12.7 with bolt-on's and 3.27's. JayC(me) ran 13.45 @ 102.98 with a K&N and O/R X and weld-in Flowmasters everything else OEM about a year ago. It's possible if you have the patience to hold off on the gear swap. :D

Jay