Stock H pipe removal trouble

roush 97

Aug 28, 2003
Illinois
I'm in the process of removing my stock pipe to replace with an x pipe. Anyways it got dark on me so I have to resume tomorrow. Here's the problem. While removing the bolts between the pipe and the headers I managed to twist a couple off. How the heck do I get the bolts out of the headers now so I can replace them? Any tricks? I wanna try to do this without removing the headers. I'm not too sure how they are in the headers since it got dark before I was able to investigate. Thanks for any suggestions.

• Sponsors (?)

If they have never been removed, they are probably going to be really tight. Best thing to do is get a can of that stuff that breaks bolts loose easy. If you can't find that use WD40. I would go out there now and spray some of it on. Let it sit there because it needs to soak in.

u dont need new headers

i almost did the same thing, but i took my time so they didnt break... my cousin is a mechanic and i asked him what to do if i did break them and he said i would have to take it to a shop where they would weld the old ones out or drill them out or something and put new bolts in which would have to be held on either side while tightening them. :nice:

I've soaked them down for two days with Pb Blaster before I even attempted to remove them. They just never have been removed. I still couldn't get the nuts to break loose and they broke the bolts off. I was just wondering if there was a way I could get the rest of the bolt out of the header so I could put some new ones in without having to take the header off. I probably will end up having too so I can apply some heat and get them out. Just trying to save some work though.

I understand what happened.... The H-pipe to header bolts are stuck in the headers flange with the head snapped off.

I just recently took my whole exhaust system out and replaced it. If I remember correctly there were studs in the header flange so if one broke off flush you'd have to use an easy out or drill them out and run a tap through the hole. The final sollution would be to weld another bolt to the stuck piece and use that for leverage.

Use plenty of penetrating oil and heat will help too.
Good luck I hate rusty bolts. :bang:

This is a prime example of why I replace bolts with stainless whenever I remove something.

I snapped one stud on each header collector when I was putting in my prochamber. I took the headers out and clamped them in a vise. Then I used a pipe wrench to take out the stud. It was really tight, I had to use a jack handle on the end of pipe wrench. On the second stud I broke the pipe wrench. It wouldn't come out, so I cut it off and drilled a hole. Its a good idea to get new headers but if you don't have the money its gonna be some work.

IMPACT WRENCH. rent one...get one....steal one....it doesnt matter but when i first took my stock H pipe off, i used an impact wrench with a long extension and it took a few minutes with a ton of penetrating oil and they came right off....good luck man hope everything works out

When I changed out my stock for off road H I used an impact with extension and sprayed the studs while I was working on unhooking the cat back.They zipped right off
and had no problems,sounds like taking the headers off may be your only hope.

The studs you broke off screw into a tapped hole in the header ball socket flange. Given that the bolts were rusted tight, it's likely that what remains of the studs are rusted tight too. I doubt you'll get anywhere trying to work with them while the headers are on the car. I'd remove the headers, then see if you can Dremel a slot into either side of the remaining stud. If you can, get on the flange with some heat (torch) and with a large flat blade you may get them out; Vice grips may do the trick - but heat is gonna be required. Penetrants aren't gonna do it. If those methods won't work, the ezout probably won't help either. You may have to drill them and retap. Or as someone else suggested, drill the holes out and then use the right length nut and bolt to pull the flanges together - but if you go that route it will probably take two people any time you want to connect or remove the head pipes - one underneath turning the nut, and one under the hood holding the bolt. If you do get them out, your Ford dealer will have the proper replacement studs - the thread size is different on each end.

I bust one off when I was doing a clutch replacement. I went to Ford and got a replacement, then went to NAPA and got the right size tap. Also bought a cheap set of new drill bits. Took my trusty grinder with a metal cutting blade and removed the remaining stump flush with the flange, then drilled the rest of it out, tapped it and screwed in the new stud. I used thread locker on it as well when I screwed it in.

The draw back to drilling it out, is you need to be spot on with your drill in the center of the old stud, or you will difficulty getting your H pipe back on. With sharp drill bits, it doesn't take too long. I thought about pulling the header but the thought of snapping off a header bolt didn't fill me with joy - nothing like making the problem worse. I have never used an easyout, but everyone says they are worthless, so I wouldn't bother with those either.

Good Luck

Howard

cobradvm said:
I bust one off when I was doing a clutch replacement. I went to Ford and got a replacement, then went to NAPA and got the right size tap. Also bought a cheap set of new drill bits. Took my trusty grinder with a metal cutting blade and removed the remaining stump flush with the flange, then drilled the rest of it out, tapped it and screwed in the new stud. I used thread locker on it as well when I screwed it in.

The draw back to drilling it out, is you need to be spot on with your drill in the center of the old stud, or you will difficulty getting your H pipe back on. With sharp drill bits, it doesn't take too long. I thought about pulling the header but the thought of snapping off a header bolt didn't fill me with joy - nothing like making the problem worse. I have never used an easyout, but everyone says they are worthless, so I wouldn't bother with those either.

Good Luck

Howard

I think I'll try that. It's been raining for two day and the car is outside so I haven't got to work on it again yet. I hate to go to snaping off header bolts. I'm limited on time right now and I'd like to have the car back on the road asap. If worse came to worse and I have to remove the headers, where did you find the BBK's for $160 Blk91stang?

If you really only want to spend 20 or 25 bucks, buy a new set of used ones and scrap the old ones. That is what I did. Why kill yourself trying to pull out a crappy bolt when ebay has like four sets at any time. I paid $13 for a set. Plus, if you ask, someone on the forum here, they may have a set they will sell you for cheap.

CB