stopping cranksaft from turning 4r70w. ideas?

geaux

Sep 5, 2003
Atlanta GA
I am doing a head swap and an under drive pulley install to and want ideas on the best way to keep the engine from turning when I take off the crankshaft pulley bolt. I do not want to take off the starter because it looks like tight work

I saw these alternate suggestions.

Should either work ?

Any better ideas?

clue A

On automatic transmission cars, the engine must be held from turning by holding the torque converter. The torque converter can be accessed by removing a plug towards the front-drivers side of the transmission. (Consult a service manual for more information). Hold the torque converter from turning with a 14mm wrench.----

clue B

There is a Ford tool that locks to the teeth of the flexplate to hold the crankshaft from turning. You remove the plastic cover from the bellhousing to install the holder.

• Sponsors (?)

i have always used an impact gun for removal and a pry bar to hold the flywheel during the installation since the crank pulley bolt is a TTY (torque to yield). for your second question; BTDC means Before Top Dead Center.

Try this
Pull a spark plug and fill cylinder with water. Replace spark plug. Crank motor. The following result will be hydrolock/rod through your block. Your motor won't move after this.
:lol:

On a serious note, try jamming a prybar against the torque converter, should work just fine.:nice:

What I did was remove the plug at the bottom of the transmission and jammed a big flat screwdriver into the teeth and kept it in place with channel locks.

First time out with balanced puller I think I screwed up a little. Inside the pulley is a centerpiece like a big washer. I pulled that out. Which has to be correct otherwise I would be just pushing against the pulley. There is a tip that goes on the end of the center bolt of the puller. I didn't put that on. What ended up happening is the center bolt threaded into the crank a little. It didn't seem to strip it though. Just rambling from a newbie for the benefit of the other first time or mechanically challenged.

Does the power steering pulley have to come off too to get the front cover off? How do you get it off? I don't see any holes in it for the three puller bolts.