straight six swap

Shivan

Apr 3, 2005
Heartland
my question is simple and very crazy i suppose

but im gonna ask it anywayz, dont get to upset

my unlce has an inline 6cyl. out of a 66 bronco
2 engine mounts, anyone heard of a straight six like that bolting into the 85 mustang lx body
i havent gone up to measure it out yet but he thinks it would fit
very simple engine, not computer controlled
any doubts that it wouldnt work.
105 hp 170 C.I. six cylinder

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not 100% sure but I thought some of the early fox mustangs could be had ith an inline six(?).
You should do it if at all possible, there is a lot of performance equipment(old school)available for the old inline 6 engines. Four barrel manifolds, headers, cams, etc.. You should also take the time to port your cylinder head, maybe even go up to bigger valves.
I'm a big fan of different and I have considered this swap before, think "rat-rod" 'stang!

awesome, right now the 2.3 in my car has some issues

it's going to be a fall project for when i switch back to the 4 wheel drive truck for winter

thanks guys, now i will certainly go measure up what i can

I have a 80 Mustang I6 and a 81 Mustang T-top coupe w/ I6.

It does require a I6 K-member. The motor mounts are way forward and the K-Member is a bit deeper.

The I6 was offered in 79 1/2 to 82 Mustang's. There are 4 speed I6 cars but most are C4 auto's and the last group, IIRC 82's also had C3 auto's.

The Cologne 2.8L V6 was ued in the Capri II which were selling so well that engine supplies of the V6 dried up for the US so Ford USA had to improvise and use the 3.3L 200cid I6.

The I6 can be made to make pretty decent power and has a nice following. Its main advantage is lots of low end torque. Stock rating is about 95hp, 67rwhp. About same power as a stock 2.3L but with gobs more low end torque.

Common mod is headers and big exhaust, cam, and pull head and mill .060" to raise compression, bigger carb than the wimpy 1bbl.

The log head is the biggest performance inhibitor. Think of it as the I6 version of the 2.3L 's poor port design. Like the 2.3L it needs ported and polished to make good power unless you decide to go turbo.

Australia and Brazil also used a similar I6 design til the early 80's. Australian I6 heads have a removable intake whcih some have modified to hold a 4bbl. A stock non ported Aussie I6 head is a 50hp bolt on. Porting and polish adds more.

There is a aluminum Brazilian head available but it will need a custom exhaust header since the exahust ports are different. FSPP is getting ready to offer a bolt on Aluminum head for the US I6 that is designed to be a 100hp bolt on out of the box and with engine mods is designed to give 300hp normally aspirated.

You tell me if this 66 Mustang, 200 I6 is having problems making power? That is Mustang Geezers car and it is one of the hottest I6 Mustangs around.
burn_out4.jpg

Here is a forum dedicated to I6 Mustangs
http://fordsix.com/forum/

Here is Mustang Geezers website
http://www.geocities.com/mustang_man_1966/index.html

And Here is Ford Six Performance Parts.
http://cquesttechnologies.com/fspp/

2.3L turbo has the advantage in having forged pistoms readily available. Forged pistons for the I6 have to be ordered.

Since I6 Mustangs are scarce, I wonder if the K-member from a Fairmont/Zephyr would fit. It too is a Fox and if all Foxes are created equal, then it should be a good match. There's plenty of I6 Fairmonts lying around so a k-member shouldn't be that hard to come by.

Just a thought.

Having busted my chops to put a 5.0 in a straight six car, I have the following observations:

It is best done with the straight six crossmember, and a Fairmont unit should work.

You need the six cyl. bellhousing for the trans, the bolt pattern is different than either the 4 or v8. C4 and C5's are commonly availalble.

The throttle linkage, fan shroud, etc are also 6 specific.

If you find a donor car, which should be easy, it could be simply done.

Not sure why, but I dont understand 89 Caprices with 24 in wheels, either.