Strange T-5 bearing retainer failure?

GimpyStang

Founding Member
Oct 8, 2001
Des Moines, IA
I did some searching and didn't see anything...

I noticed some transmission fluid dripping and droped my transmission. As I pulled it out the sleeve that the throwout bearing actually rides on was physically out of the retainer base! This bearing retainer was replaced in April (I think the part came from Summit, I forget now).

Did I get a flawed piece or what?

I pressed it back into the base, but it easily pulls back out. Think its possible to tack this stupid thing in place or should I just order a new shimkit + retainer from Hanlon?

Stupid thing ruined my clutch :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

i don't know but your like the 4th person i've seen post have that problem.....
as i'm in the process of getting my parts together for a t-5 conversion i have bought a steel one myself......
i have a feeling someones going to have to figure out who makes these things and maybe come up with an interesting way of modifying it to keep this from happening.....
i suppose one could drill a couple small holes in each side and put roll pins in but, i would'n't want those roll pins shifting and rubbing on the in put shaft either.........
they should have probably designed them so the steel part has a lip, and is inserted into the aluminum from the rear, then the seal put in to keep them from sliding forward and coming loose....
although with all of them that are out there only some seem to have problems with them

Order a shim kit & retainer from Hanlon. If if breaks again it may wipe out the input shaft & clutch.

Parts quaility can be a killer. I had to replace the the input shaft on my car because the "made in china" pilot bearing came apart and scored the input shaft pilot bearing area. I did a new flywheel, King Cobra clutch kit & Federal Mogul pilot bearing (proudly stamped "Made in USA") to the tune of $600 in parts. The new clutch sure is smooth and grabs hard, but I could have avoided it by spending $6 more on a pilot bearing made in the USA.

The Summit one's are JUNK! I had one do it to me right after I put it on the tranny. I ended up drilling and tapping two holes in the bearing retainer 180* apart. and I installed two 1/4"x20 set screws with locktite on them to hold the steel sleeve in the bearing retainer. This is about the tenth time i've heard about this. The reason I did this is because my buddy and I did the swap on a sunday and we couldn't track one down. It's been going fine since last summer.It was a good thing I caught it on the bench before I put it in the car. Next time I'll get one from some other retailer.

The Summit one I had looked ok. Then I installed it on the tranny. Once on there, I grabbed the snout and the tailshaft to pick the tranny up off of the bench, And it came off in my hand. If you can pull it out by hand I would say it is junk! not enough interfearance fit! You should try to pull it out right out of the box. This will save you some headaches

Thanks for the replies.

I went to the Ford dealer (just to see if they had any laying around) and the bearing retainer is sold in a "service kit". It includes new seal, shims and a 'welded' steel retainer (that was the description on the computer screen). I have to assume they figured out what was going on and secure it? Either way they *only* wanted $100.00 for that whole kit! Looks like the Summit retainer is just a press fit (as retro50 posted).

So I'll just get the shims+retainer from Hanlon and be done with it. I've used his retainers before on my old 1995 GT and it was fine.

Press a piece of steel into aluminum, heat/cool it down a bunch of times and you might have problems eventually. But if the darn thing slips right on the bench, that's not saying much :rolleyes: