Strange transmission question

NO_RICE

Founding Member
May 5, 2001
Tucson, AZ
I have a tremec 3550 in my car at the moment (94GT), my car is a daily driver and I am sick of the noise typical of the tremecs. I would like to replace it with something less heavy duty at the moment. however I have a few questions:

1) will a 87-93 t5 bolt directly in the place of the tremec, with no extra parts or modification?

2) if I swap back to a 94-95 t5 will I only need a bellhousing, a clutch fork, and a dust cover or am I forgetting anything?

3) does the crossmember need to be modified/changed?

5) is a built t5 comprable to a tremec?

thanks for the help guys

• Sponsors (?)

NO_RICE said:
I have a tremec 3550 in my car at the moment (94GT), my car is a daily driver and I am sick of the noise typical of the tremecs. I would like to replace it with something less heavy duty at the moment. however I have a few questions:

1) will a 87-93 t5 bolt directly in the place of the tremec, with no extra parts or modification?

2) if I swap back to a 94-95 t5 will I only need a bellhousing, a clutch fork, and a dust cover or am I forgetting anything?

3) does the crossmember need to be modified/changed?

5) is a built t5 comprable to a tremec?

thanks for the help guys
1) no, you will need a T5 bell/fork

2) that should be it, but i am not sure what spline output the 3550 has. so you may need to get an output yolk

3) it was prolly modded to accept the tremec so it may or may not

4) WTF happened to 4?

5) depends on the T5 and the tremec. you can get an astro/g-force T5 that will be just as strong as tremec