"street" harness in '69 Mach 1?

subtlemach

Oct 18, 2004
NC
In final stages of preparing my '69 Mach 1 for the road. New Cobra "Daytona" front seats allow use harness restraints. With fold-down rear seat style, any recommendations where to properly connect shoulder belts and still allow rear seat to fold? Not considering roll bar. All manufacturers recommend running straps toward rear somehow instead of straight down to use same bolts as lap belts. Have not chosen brand of harness yet.

• Sponsors (?)

subtlemach said:
In final stages of preparing my '69 Mach 1 for the road. New Cobra "Daytona" front seats allow use harness restraints. With fold-down rear seat style, any recommendations where to properly connect shoulder belts and still allow rear seat to fold? Not considering roll bar. All manufacturers recommend running straps toward rear somehow instead of straight down to use same bolts as lap belts. Have not chosen brand of harness yet.

well the 69/70 shelbys had the belts hanging from the top of the roll bar and the roll bar tied into the top of the car where the factory shoulder harnesses bolted up. so in keeping with this theme, you could have a bar built that only ran across the roof and tied in where the shoulder harnesses bolted up. but if you want my honest opinion, if you aren't going to use a rollbar there is not a lot of point in using racing harnesses anyway. another option might to ditch the back seat alltogether and build a 65/66 shelby style package tray and mount the harnesses to that. :shrug: