Street tune or off the shelf tune??

joshheat25

Nov 8, 2004
Delaware
I am debating on getting the Xcal 2 but don't know whether I should order it from MPH and get an off the shelf tune or take it to performance evolution, a local guy and get him to tune it on the street?

• Sponsors (?)

Matt at Performance Evolution is reallly good. Im on my second tune with him due to changing mods and am very satisfied.. plus he's really cheap compared to others.. lemme know if you have any questions about his place, ive been dealing with him alot over the past year and a half

Screw mail order and off the shelf tunes. They are set to bumpr the timing for a global 1 or two degrees and get ride of rev limiters and speed limiters.

A tuner that uses a dyno can get you more than one or two degrees of timing, and do more than erase speed limiters ad raise rev limiters. He can get you more power and the motor will be more reliable and run better if he does it for you.

Custom Dyno tune will get you more power , but on a NA car you arent talking about alot more .....and now most of the handhelds can be adjusted but you wont know what actually benefits you without going to a track for MPH numbers , or a dyno for HP numbers to see how much timing you can add before the car stops making more power ......

A lot of that is old style thinking - Back when everyone did chips, this was entriely correct - nowadays you can get VERY close to dynotune quality via mail order as long as you have the right equipment and are willing to work at it.

You need an XCal 2, a laptop and a wideband that'll also log MAF volts or RPM or can be interfaced to the Xcal 2. Widebands have come down in price and are no longer unaffordable. You log what's necessary with the Xcal and the wideband on the laptop and email the tuner the logs. Then you get updated tunes from the tuner. This goes on until the tune is correct. Lots cheaper than a dynotune, plus you have the satisfaction knowing you participated in the tuning process. WOT runs can get hairy on the street, so we always tell people to have another person driving, and to obey all speed limits - or better still, do it at the track. One negative thing is you don't get dyno numbers.

I've done TONS of cars this way with great results. Cars from all over the USA, Europe, South America and the middle east - all over. We do enough cars on the dyno to know where the best fueling and timing is for 90% of the cars with the same combo, so once the tune is dialed in via this process, you probably are only giving up a small amount of power, if any. Plus no dyno - Mustang Dyno or any other will load the car like the street or track will. You only have to find a tuner who has the time and desire to follow through with you and keep at it, and gets back to you fairly quickly.

Don

A lot of that is old style thinking - Back when everyone did chips, this was entriely correct - nowadays you can get VERY close to dynotune quality via mail order as long as you have the right equipment and are willing to work at it.

You need an XCal 2, a laptop and a wideband that'll also log MAF volts or RPM or can be interfaced to the Xcal 2. Widebands have come down in price and are no longer unaffordable. You log what's necessary with the Xcal and the wideband on the laptop and email the tuner the logs. Then you get updated tunes from the tuner. This goes on until the tune is correct. Lots cheaper than a dynotune, plus you have the satisfaction knowing you participated in the tuning process. WOT runs can get hairy on the street, so we always tell people to have another person driving, and to obey all speed limits - or better still, do it at the track. One negative thing is you don't get dyno numbers.

I've done TONS of cars this way with great results. Cars from all over the USA, Europe, South America and the middle east - all over. We do enough cars on the dyno to know where the best fueling and timing is for 90% of the cars with the same combo, so once the tune is dialed in via this process, you probably are only giving up a small amount of power, if any. Plus no dyno - Mustang Dyno or any other will load the car like the street or track will. You only have to find a tuner who has the time and desire to follow through with you and keep at it, and gets back to you fairly quickly.

Don

I tune at the track .......

So I should take it to my local tuner and have him do a street tune. thats what I figured. because I have the old Superchips tuner and the tune is ok but not as good as I expected plus I need to eliminate my rear o2's

a SCT tune is going to be much better than the old Superchips. ultimately a custom tune is the best, but probably not worth going to a tuner for unless he gives you an Xcal2+ in the deal.