Strengthening a 68 convertable frame?

• Sponsors (?)

I read an article years ago about race prepping chassis. They welded all of the unibody seams and blended them with a grinder. This is probably overkill for a street car.

Mustang Plus is a good option. They sell a complete strengthening kit that includes torque boxes and additional steel under the chassis. I'd be afraid of it getting really heavy however. They originally designed it for their Ronster kit but also used it on their Colt351 project car.

Your best bet for street use are sub frames. IMHO Maier Racing makes the best designed subs for vintage Mustangs. I prefer their design over what is offered by everyone else, Including the TCP units. The TPC has weld in subs and a bolt in cross member. Except for adding a few more pounds, I don't see the extra cross member helping that much since they are not connecting to any additional mount points to the chassis. It does provide a nice mount point for a torque arm but that is about it.

Cobra Automotive also sells a heavy duty cross member that ties in the front lower control arms. I know they have them for '65 & '66. I'm not sure about your application.

Export Brace and Monte Carlo bar is a no-brainer. Definitely worth the money. You can go with the old style which everybody has, or the newer style like that provided by TCP. I like what Street or Track has to offer for the monte carlo bar. It's simple, well designed, and cost effective. It is also super convenient when you need access to your distributor. You can remove the cross bar in about a minute.

I went with the chromed old-style monte carlo and export brace. I may upgrade at a later date when $$$ is a little easier to come by but all that chrome will sure look nice.

$0.02

The Mustangs Plus kit only adds 65 lbs. It is pretty unobtrusive and I don't think the added weight is that much. I have subframes on my Mach I from Global West. I imagine that as my car progresses towards more and more of a racer, I will opt for this kit.

I have a 66 mustang convertible with a 289. I think the handling and stability could really benefit from a Monte Carlo Bar. I see that scott drake seems to make 3 of them. Lowcosts 36bucks, 46 bucks and race for close to 115bucks. I'm not sold on scott drake but curious what is the best Monte Carlo bar avsilable. I definitely don't want to pit cheap parts on the car and want to buy quality parts for the money. Any thoughts?

Already mentioned but I'll second the nod on the Global West subframes, I lost no ground clearance (the 2.5-inch exhaust hangs lower) and they are very strong. I think it is a "love or hate" things but a weld-in 4-point rollbar will really help stiffen things up. Plus it gives you a way to have some shoulder harness for safety belts too.

cNOEWz9s-GvvKAgpIi6g3MUs9DCfhF0XangTXZ_YJdU4bvE_DsjwGdTCbPbv_zuX5oAdevI0RDToa8Ba8c=w1267-h950-no.jpg

Edited...exhaust is 2.5 not 3 inch. Even at 2.5 it still would not fit above the transmission crossmember and around the yoke due to the AOD and 3-inch driveshaft.

Last edited: