#$%^&^ Stripped Screws

Blakthorn

Jul 24, 2004
US
I have the worst luck...I stripped the screw trying to get out the top plastic piece of the steering column. The piece above the speedometer with 2 screws 1 on each side. That screw has got to be in the worst place EVER, its right against the windshield and you need maybe a 1 inch screw driver to get that thing out.

I was trying to get behind my headlight switch to see if the wires are still in because only my highbeams and daytimes are working. Highbeams only work if I hold down the switch, not if I flick it on.

Anyway, how the heck do I get stripped screws out, because I also stripped one on the 5.0 Intake plate in the engine bay..

• Sponsors (?)

Dude you would have used one of those screw drivers that looks like a Z, with a phillips on one end and flathead on the other :/

Sorry to hear about your situation, that REALLY sucks.

The screws that are in mine are Torx in the center, but also around the outside i can use a ratchet.

I'm guessing your aren't that way.

So i'd take a New phillips head tip, put it in a 1/4 socket, and then put a ratchet on it, and have someone press down, while you turn it.

Unless someone forceed larger screws in there, they are only held in by those clips.

You can use an offset screwdriver (the "Z" shaped one,) and use something (a hammer handle with a towel wrapped over it to protect) and then use the hammer to apply downward pressure to the screwdriver while you turn slowly. You can also buy ratcheting types (called dogbones) of screwdrivers that'll work, but they're more expensive.

Very good suggestions on here. I used a really short screwdriver and it worked fine. The pressure idea is key (treating it like an impact driver to keep the tangs on the screwdriver from slipping).

Pushing down on the dash pad can also help - it relieves some pressure against the underside of the screwhead.

Good luck bud.

thanks for all the ideas, i just picked up these 2 things from home depot, tell me if they are helpful..

btw when those screws are out does the whole thing lift off, if you look by your switches (headlight/foglight) there is a seem that goes all the way to the other side, is this made to split or is it still all 1 piece?

It's all one piece. That whole piece from where the screws are to where the hazrad and headlight switches are is the bezel that comes off. Assuming you removed the rest of the screws it'll come out when you remove the last two. (You also of course have to remove the hazard switch and the headlight switch.)

Yes, you have to remove the switches before you remove the bezel. For each switch there are two small locking tabs on each side that must be carefully depressed with a small flat blade screwdriver. Before you disconnect the switchs from the harness make a diagram of the wires and their position for each connector. When these get old the little plastic retainers for the wire socket pins break and the wires will pull out! Figuring out where they go without a diagram took me over 4 hours to figure out.

Don

There was a kid on the Corral that busted his windshield out with a hammer to get to those screws.:nonono: It may take a while but you should be able to get them out using the suggestions above. I am suprized to see philips heads in there, mine are torx. Good luck

AHA! I got the screw out with the Z screwdriver and alot of downforce on it

Anyway I took apart some things and I think I found my problem. I snapped out the headlight switch and foglight switch and I pulled out the grey snap in harness where the wires go into...I follow the yellow/red wire and noticed that the grey front part that snaps into the black switch is burned, it was brown and shaped like it melted. whats this part called and how do i get this fixed! I need headlights!!!

This is gonna sound stupid but for future use something that works really well is put a little anti sieze on the tip of the driver. The grit in the anti sieze helps keep the driver from slipping. I know ist sounds crazy but believe me it REALLY works.