Stroke or no stroke?

jcode68

Jul 15, 2003
Massachussetts
Looking for some advice on wether or not I should go the stroker route or not from people who have done this. I have a 68 Fastback with the stock 302 and am planning a winter project to replace the engine and transmission (currently stock 3 speed stick, going with T5). I restored the car about 5 years ago and already got the car show thing out of my system and now just want to enjoy the car a little more by adding some significant performance improvements over current levels. I don't plan to take the car to the strip, but do want something that performs well and can burn the pants off all the rice rocket punks around town. I plan to go with a long block crate motor rather than a rebuild of my current engine. I would like 300+ RWHP without any nitrous or radical unfriendly streetable cams & compression ratio's. What direction do you suggest? Why? And what supplier should I buy from.

Thanks for your opinion's

• Sponsors (?)

personally, i know i am going that route ... 331 stroker. probably from CHP (Coast High Performance). They seem to have the best kits, and they sell them in long block form too. The 331 long block will run you from $4799 - $5599 depending on the usage. As for cam ... check out Comp Cams XE274H (kit #K31-246-3). It's definately streetable and will give you some very nice off-the-line torque and a good sound (given you have a nice exhaust system to compliment it). to top it off, get a nice set of AFR 185 (maybe 165) heads to let that engine breath. i think with this combo. you can get some damn good power to the ground and be happy with it

*sorry, had the kit # for that cam wrong

jcode68 said:
Looking for some advice on wether or not I should go the stroker route or not from people who have done this. I have a 68 Fastback with the stock 302 and am planning a winter project to replace the engine and transmission (currently stock 3 speed stick, going with T5). I restored the car about 5 years ago and already got the car show thing out of my system and now just want to enjoy the car a little more by adding some significant performance improvements over current levels. I don't plan to take the car to the strip, but do want something that performs well and can burn the pants off all the rice rocket punks around town. I plan to go with a long block crate motor rather than a rebuild of my current engine. I would like 300+ RWHP without any nitrous or radical unfriendly streetable cams & compression ratio's. What direction do you suggest? Why? And what supplier should I buy from.

Go for the gusto. Bigger displacement = bigger power. You will also require a less wild motor to achieve your power goals with respect to cams and compression ratio. I myself am considering a 408. Car craft reviewed a CHP 408 which had 8:1 comp. victor jr, performed intake and a hyd. roller. The thing made 503hp and 498ft lbs of torque. Thats big block power from a small block. The only problem will be keeping the car straight while smoking the Civic.

jcode68 said:

also, keep in mind a good stock/performance rebuild will most likely require cutting the crank and balancing, reconditioning the rods, new pistons boring and honing anyway, decking the block etc. You are more than half way there on a stock rebuild, for acouple of bucks more you get new rods, crank and pistons. The kits have the option of being balanced. Basically your machine shop will just need to prep the block and assemble it. BTW, for a 302, go with a 347 they kick butt. Just look at the nascar engines, they are 347's. As far as kits are concerned, your building a non- race street performance motor, IMO, you do not need a steel crank and 4340 rods etc. A cast crank will suit you fine. Also, if it make you feel any better about that, I turn a stock cast cleveland crank to 9 grand at the track and theres no problem. Even the stock rods were holding up on my machine shop's motor.

Its all about how much you want to spend. You can buy a 340hp ford 302 crate engine for $3000 shipped. It comes complete with valve covers, dampner, etc. You will need to change the oil pan and the timing chain cover if you want to run a mechanical fuel pump. all you need is an intake and carb and away you go. You can easily swap out the camshaft, and with the right intake and carb meet your 300rwhp goal and have a very streetable engine with a warranty.

Appreciate the responses guys, these are in line with the direction I was leaning in. Definately not interested in rebuilding my block and dealing with machine shops etc. Plan to go the crate engine route and have been looking into Coast High Performance. Anyone got feedback, good or bad on these guys? Any other better choices out there?

Thanks

jcode68 said:
Appreciate the responses guys, these are in line with the direction I was leaning in. Definately not interested in rebuilding my block and dealing with machine shops etc. Plan to go the crate engine route and have been looking into Coast High Performance. Anyone got feedback, good or bad on these guys? Any other better choices out there?

Thanks
Have a guy I know with a coast 377 and it lays rubber for miles, does that help? THey seem pretty good.

cheshireccat said:
There is always indy mustang. They have a 306 race engine for 1400 with 340 hp. not too much to get everything else you need.... that is what I'm going with...

hmmmm....I STRONGLY suggest you do a search on Corral.net for "Indy Mustang". There are a ton of threads that may change your mind :nonono: They would mine!

...dont say you weren't warned.