Stroker Kit's.. bigger engine questions

savegoodautonfg

May 11, 2005
I read alot of threads and posts about like getting 400hp out of a 302 and such and i see reply's like not without a stroker kit and all. but when you go on like dds or dss racing or whatever it is you see those engines with 400-500 hp are they like what size block and everything i don't know the difference. i thought if you buy a 347 stroker engine that the whole engine is 347ci and such. explain please. very confused.

• Sponsors (?)

those 400-500hp engines are most likely 331s/347s. . .the displacement is measured by rotating assembly and i use to know the equation but i left it at home. . . it has nothing to do with the actual size of the motor but instead with the stroke ratio and bore. IF it did have to do with the actual size of the motor then mod motors would have ALOT more dispalcement

Modular2v said:
those 400-500hp engines are most likely 331s/347s. . .the displacement is measured by rotating assembly and i use to know the equation but i left it at home. . . it has nothing to do with the actual size of the motor but instead with the stroke ratio and bore. IF it did have to do with the actual size of the motor then mod motors would have ALOT more dispalcement

Thanks for the reply. but i dont know what you mean by displacement. or the stroke ratio or bore stuff.

So i have a complete stock long block 302. i could make this a stroker engine 347 by doing what?

savegoodautonfg said:
Thanks for the reply. but i dont know what you mean by displacement. or the stroke ratio or bore stuff.

So i have a complete stock long block 302. i could make this a stroker engine 347 by doing what?
Buying a stroker kit which consist of a new crank, pistons and connecting rods.

4.030 3.250 5.400 = 331

4.030 3.400 5.400 = 347

These are the most frequent ways to achieve 331 and 347 inches in a stock block. You need to use a revised piston with different compression height also.

Question is ok I have a stock block right now. I'm looking to eventually get my car up to 400-450 horsepower my question to you guys is, can i do that with my stock block and how?

or would i be better off buying like a $3500-5000 stroker engine already built.
If i bought the kit would i have to have anything else modified for my mechanic to install in my car?

331 or 347 fit in the stock blocks, have to notch the bottom of the cylinders to clear the rod bolts. Engines are not like legos that just go together, strokers are not bolt on's like gears and CAI's etc.. Thinkgs like the connecting rod small ends almost always need to be opened up as they tend to run tight out of the box. So no your not gonna buy a stroker kit and slam it into a block without some work. nothing dramatic mind you.

youre better off buying a stroker engine for like 2200 from ford racing. It comes forged 347 or 331 your choice your gonna spend almost the same amount just to make your 302 into a 331 , 347. I shouldve bought an engine already made with forged internals cost me almost the same.

Watch the power out put on a 302. I've seen them split down the center putting out 500 HP. If it was me and was gonna do a 331 347 i'd get a mexican block and be done with it! Or go with a 351 to 408 then were talking! But alittle more due to the extra stuff you'd need for it, but way more power and stronger! peace

john:p