stuck valves!!

67coupestang

Founding Member
May 31, 2002
any one have any helpful tips for freeing stuck valves in the car, heads on??

we tapped with a hammer and soaked with WD. they are starting to come a little loose but still are wide open...

• Sponsors (?)

Heads on and valves stuck open................... :eek:

First, take the hammer and gently place it in the trash can. Close the lid and walk away.

You are going to have to pull the heads. No way around this. The valves are stuck because they are bent. Banging on them will only damage the valve guide and the piston the valve is hitting!!!!

Did we........

1> Tighten the rocker arms too much?
2> Over rev the engine??
3> Put the wrong ratio rocker arms on???

Pull the heads before you have to spend a lot more money fixing what you will damage looking for a quick fix! :nono:

well we were using a soft face dead blow if that makes you feel better... the motor came from a yard and the counter jockey said it ran great :owned: we also belive this motor has a flat lobe on the cam... related? I have another set of 351W heads lying around, just swap those on then... yea...

If the valves have been open for a long period of time sitting in the junkyard you may not like what you find down in the cylinders. Was there an intake and carb on this engine? Was is still in the car, and if so was the hood on and closed? You might have a large boat anchor on your hands.

no the engine was in a car hood closed had a oil leak (rust preventitive :rolleyes: ) intake, carb, full exhaust, etc... I'm still pulling the heads.... Oh and Just incase anyone is curious, this is in the bronco <--- not my 67, sorry but i like you guys better than my bronco boards :)

67coupestang said:
we also belive this motor has a flat lobe on the cam... related? I have another set of 351W heads lying around, just swap those on then... yea...

A flat lobe on the cam will not open the valve. A flat cam is not related. Why do you believe this when you stated in your previous breathe that the "counter jockey said it ran great"

By the way.... I am sending you a check for $5000. I put it in the mail today. This should help you rebuild the engine. :rlaugh: