stumped....

dude496

Jun 18, 2006
So if you have read any of my past posts, all i have posted is about problems...sorry if its kinda complaining, but just been a pain in the butt.

So heres a recap of all that has been done...and those that are familiar with mustangs, please read all of it...sorry its kinda long, but might help me diagnose the problem.

1. Traded in my R32 for a 04 Mustang GT AODE with supercharger and exhaust (later found out its just welded in flowmasters). Car only has 17,500 miles on it.

2. Serpentine belt shredded due to crappy procharger idler pulley...replaced with reichard racing pulley

3. Dyno tuned by local shop. 335 whp, 352 ft/tq

4. Dyno shop had to run a very safe tune due to the car only providing 24 psi for fuel.

5. Replaced fuel pump with a focus svt pump...car had an aftermarket pump, but either it failed or was just the wrong pump....tune shop didnt really want to tell me much other than "it was the wrong pump"

6. Check engine light goes on, needed to replace fuel pressure regulator.

7. Tranny starts going...originally thought it was a tune issue. At around 45 mph, it would start slipping every so slightly then go back to normal. The real issue was that when i would go WOT from about 40 mph, car would down shift and start pulling hard...then it would get to around 70 mph and go to switch into next gear, but instead of switching it would do one of two things...either it would start acting like it was bouncing off the rev limiter, but the rpm's were only around 5500 rpms....or it would shift and the car would dog down big time like it just shifted into overdrive. I have tried taking traction control off and also turning overdrive off, but the problem would still happen.

8. After spending a little time at the tune shop driving around with the mechanic, car started burning tranny fluid really bad and surging around 25 mph. Tune shop told me to take it back to the dealer since it was still in the 30 day warranty (and keep in mind car only has 17,500 miles on it)

9. Dealer finds that the tranny needs to be rebuilt :bang: Well they took care of it due to the warranty....took more than 2 weeks, but hey atleast it was free.

Well today i finally got the car back, shifting from first to second seems rather smooth but i still get a little surge around 40 mph. So since i got the surge feeling again i had to check the WOT problem again...got up to around 45-50 mph and got on it (i know, not a good thing for a fresh rebuilt but had to check it out) well problem is still there...it will get to 70 mph and get ready to shift but either it will just hang up there, or shift into o/d (well atleast it feels like o/d...car just bogs down big time)

Sorry for the lengthy background, but figure i should explain all so ya might get a better idea of all that has happened...I know troubleshooting over the internet is next to impossible, but i want to have a good starting point when i talk to the dealer tomorrow. I'm thinking it might be a tune issue, but other possible culprits i can think of are torque converter, spark, or fuel delivery

The car does pull strong off the line though

Thanks again for all of your help!

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like the car definitely needs to be tuned properly. If you get an SCT Xcal, or DiabloSport you can change your shifting profiles and probably eliminate your problems altogether....I'd request overnight shipping:nice:

thats your solution to everything WFO. still like the solution though.

i think mity2 is right... i really think something in the ECU is wrong for the tranny... wether the tune shop horked something or its just not right from the factory or even possibly the previous owner... i think a good amount could be fixed with a tuner/tune shop that will work on the shift points of the tranny.

but, thats why i dont like automatics... manuals are easier to work with in my opinion :)

Torinalth

So an update to what has been going on...

I took the car back to the dealer, and all they said was that the AODE would not handle the supercharger...would not budge on it at all. So i took it back to Excessive Motorsports...have to say they are a great shop, very knowledgable and friendly.

Now the problem is looking to be either a fuel issue or a tune issue....they are definatly helping me out with the problem and hopefully soon i'll have the bugs worked out.

I'm still stumped to why its only happening when shifting after 70 mph, pretty sure thats when it hits overdrive but not sure.

blubullett said:
you should get them to fix the tranny, then sell it and buy a 5 spd.

got the tranny fixed...completly rebuilt. The car is a dd, so i dont have time to swap out the tranny with a manual...and if i was going to go manual, it would be a 6 speed. Down the road i plan on upgrading the tranny, but might stick with auto.

ok so it continues...

Check engine light came back on again, fuel rail pressure regulator. I've replaced it, and the tune shop has also replaced it...so obviously its not the regulator thats causing the problem...any ideas?

Car has stalled out on me 3 times since the service engine light has come on (fuel rail pressure regulator) and car will not idle. Fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator have been replaced...this is the third regulator now on the car.

Anyone have any ideas? and thanks for everyones inputs so far.

Oh and on my last post, i said the car wouldnt idle...i should clarify on that one....when its in drive, the car does idle rough, but it still sticks around 800 rpms....when its in park, it will rev up to about 1500 then drop down to around 200, then catch itself for a moment up to 800 rpms...then repeat the above, or stall.

Also the car was taching right around 2500 rpms at between 65-70 mph's, car has 3.73 rear gears....something doesnt add up with that one, doesnt feel like its shifting into o/d

Ok sorry to keep restarting this thread, but hope i might get a few responses

This car has great potential and can't wait for the bugs to work themselves out....if any of you have any ideas, please chime in.

i dropped the car off at the tune shop today for them to take a look at it....hopefully soon the car will be working correctly :D

Oh and just remembered another thing...

After the first time the service engine light for the "fuel rail pressure regulator" light came on, i replaced the regulator...but i noticed that the one of the hose clamps was missing, and another one had been zip tied....now that might be because the previous owner installed a boost gauge, but now i'm curious if the previous owner also tried replacing the regulator.

I've replaced the regulator once, and the tune shop replaced it once...when i replaced it, engine was somewhat warm, and when the tune shop replaced it the engine was definatly warm...both times fuel sprayed out like a geyser...fuel shot out a good 5 feet atleast.

So besides the regulator and the fuel pump, what else is in the circuit? Autozone pointed at a silver valve on the passenger side near the firewall, but i think that valve is for the egr, or some other emissions factor...not sure though

Ok sorry for being so lengthy, but i want to talk about every detail and hopefully come down to a final fix

Again thanks for all the help