Subframe Connectors w. Side Exhaust

amorrow

Jul 15, 2005
St. Charles, IL
Hi, I was just wondering what others running side-exit exhaust have done wrt subframe connectors. Obviously ground clearance is a concern with '65 GT350-style side-exit exhaust, so I'm curious what some of you have done.
Has anyone had some fabricated that run through the floor? I have new floorpans (not original floor), so I'm not worried about cutting them if need-be if ground clearance is increased wrt the exhaust. The shop doing the welding on my Fastback is capable of fabricating custom ones, so any recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I have done this on a 65 fastback I used a piece of 3.5 inch exhaust tubing that i cut in half and made a tunel above the conector in the floor and then cut the conector and installed a thick section of 3.5 tubbing and welded it inbetween the conector and made gussets so the exhaust passed through the tubing in the connector.

hope this helps if you need more info i can draw it out

Side Exhaust & Sub Frame Connectors

The way that you do it is to cut a hole through the rear torque boxes. Your subframe connectors should add the support that you take out by doing this. See the JBA instructions for a more precise explanation of exactly where to cut and how big. This is what Unique Performance does on all of their side exhaust cars with the TCP subframe connectors and JBA exhaust.

Thanks for the input. I also posted a similar thread on the Vintage Mustang Forum, and got this recommendation...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/197690732/1464195362060268584RJlGmf (there are images from other angles if you view the entire album)

These subframe connectors basically connect to the front framerails, run through the floor where the floorpan dips down (great for ground clearance), and attaches to the rear framerail (a piece is fabricated that is "sandwiched" between the connector and original rear framerail). This custom design has a nice clean look, and it appears to be stronger than any design I've seen. And I'm not concerned with rear legroom considering I'll have the Shelby fiberglass shelf in place of the rear seats.

What are your opinions of this design? Thanks in advance!

Jay,
I'm up for suggestions on how else you can get the side exhaust out there. If you try and go below the subframe you will ALWAYS be dragging. I just don't see any other options. The idea of cutting the torque box doesn't exactly thrill me either.

Drew

SuperSnake428 said:
Jay,
I'm up for suggestions on how else you can get the side exhaust out there. If you try and go below the subframe you will ALWAYS be dragging. I just don't see any other options. The idea of cutting the torque box doesn't exactly thrill me either.
Drew

I don't blame you! It's not the best way. Depending on where you're at in your project, you may consider the method mentioned above. I have seen this link before and it's a great solution if you have your car in the shell form. I had mine running just behind the tcp subs. It didn't rub...
DSCF0005.jpg

I'm right in the middle of addressing this as well since we just did the tcp rear coilover on the car. Doing an install article for M&F. So I ordered some flattened 2.5 mandrel bent u bends to run under the subs. Yes ground clearance will be lost but it's less of a concern to me than running it through the torque box. My friggin bellhousing sits less than 4" off the ground. The rear subframe for the rear coils sits a little higher than that. I can't imagine the exhaust being lower than either.

Attachments

• DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 4,534
SuperSnake428...did you see the images I linked? If you view the album, you'll see those connectors barely reduce ground clearance at all where sidepipes would exit. I'm going with a side-exit exhaust as well, and that's why I'm going to go this route and have some fabricated. This setup looks very strong.
Oops, don't mean to be redundant...you beat me to it, mdjay!