Sum ting wong here

• Sponsors (?)

This is correct... Says this in the instructions I received with it......

You are going to fall in love with that differential. It completely changes the car. It's the best money I have ever spent on my Mustang hands down. Now get thine ass down to O'Reilly's and enjoy that the only cost savings part of buying a stupid ass expensive differential is that you can buy the cheapest gear oil on the shelf.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 users
This is correct... Says this in the instructions I received with it......
Eaton will say not to use synthetic, because they don’t know if it will hinder performance, but most all will indeed work. They tend to overcomplicate things.

I can tell you on my locker, I run redline shockproof and it works every bit the same as it did with mineral based oil, zero difference at all. Unless you’re running a clutch style differential then that’s always what I recommend.

Eaton will say not to use synthetic, because they don’t know if it will hinder performance, but most all will indeed work. They tend to overcomplicate things.

I can tell you on my locker, I run redline shockproof and it works every bit the same as it did with mineral based oil, zero difference at all. Unless you’re running a clutch style differential then that’s always what I recommend.
So you are saying you spent way more money on oil, and it didn't "hinder" performance as the pro. What was the upside to this story?

Kurt

Considering he is using a 9" rear which is # 1 heavier #2 hp parasite, I think using a thicker oil a non issue
but aint it purty......
DSCF0956.JPG

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
You sure are loosing some performance using the thicker conventional oil
Surprised they would say that in their nomenclature

First off 80W-90 is not that thick. Also, if using conventional oil is better for the friction requirements, then that's a huge gain in performance. I don't pretend to know better than the engineers who design this stuff, and the instructions clearly state to use a particular oil.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
but aint it purty......
DSCF0956.JPG
Does synthetic gear oil stink like the standard stuff, especially after use? I might use Royal Purple if it was grape scented. :) And for CT and ear worm reasons, I'm not going to comment on a nice looking, big rear end. Sir Mix A Lot had a hit about that.

Last edited:
Does synthetic gear oil stunk like the standard stuff, especially after use? I might use Royal Purple if it was grape scented. :) And for CT and ear worm reasons, I'm not going to comment on a nice looking, big rear end. Sir Mix A Lot had a hit about that.
Yeah,conventional gear oil is in a league all it's own in the smell and stain departments. The oder can repel wildlife.

Does synthetic gear oil stunk like the standard stuff, especially after use? I might use Royal Purple if it was grape scented. :) And for CT and ear worm reasons, I'm not going to comment on a nice looking, big rear end. Sir Mix A Lot had a hit about that.
Now a 9" is not THAT BIG...... LOL

• Clever
Reactions: 1 user
Does synthetic gear oil stink like the standard stuff, especially after use? I might use Royal Purple if it was grape scented. :) And for CT and ear worm reasons, I'm not going to comment on a nice looking, big rear end. Sir Mix A Lot had a hit about that.

Yes, stinks just as bad if not worse. If you get it in your hair, you are sleeping alone for 2 weeks.

Kurt

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
OK, so it got delivered on Sat after the Hurricane... Came to around $6.70 a qt. B4 tax....
I opened the box and the gear oil smell came out... LOL... In todays world of syn oils I hadn't smelled that smell in a long time...LOL...
DSCF1195.JPG
DSCF1197.JPG

Last edited:
  • Clever
Reactions: 2 users