Fox Super Or Smog

stang89bidges

Advanced Member
Mar 14, 2014
Fort Worth Texas
Running a Vortech V2. Deleted all my smog equipment except the pump. What I'm about to ask is another reason you should get a delete pulley or something of the sort :crazy:

Is the new whining sound coming from my supercharger or my smog pump?

Normally my s/c whistles, not whines. The smog pump has no hose connected, just left open the export port.

I'm sitting here on the porch drinking my coffee thinking about rebuilding the super when it dawned on me it could be the dam smog pump...

I grew up in a family that laughs at each other when we trip. We're not afraid to be the butt of a joke as we will laugh at ourselves right along with you. Hence I had to post this.

• Sponsors (?)

Blower is 99.9% making that delicious noise, its a bit freaky at first but you will learn to love it.

S trims are noisey don't rebuild it unless you are sure it needs it.

edit of edit....

pull the belt is the smog pump spins freely it is most likely fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously? SC is like 8-10yrs old. It's always been pretty quiet. I've had car like 4yrs now. Never even heard it hardly at idle with hood open and standing next to it.

It's always whistled at a certain RPM. Never whined before. It's now loud enough I hear it in the cab while driving.

I figured it's old enough and it's possible it had a bit of coolant mixed with oil when blew my heads last time that it's bearings where going out?

I dunno. If you think it's just now breaking in and it's normal to whine that loud I will be a happy camper!

S/C has ballpark 50,000 miles on her.

Ditch the smog pump anyway if it's not doing anything. If it doesn't fail now, it will fail eventually and smoke your serpentine belt. Good way to ensure your car will not need a piggy back ride at some point down the road.

Kurt

I'd delete the pump also. If the blower is making a lot more noise than before I have a bad feeling. If you dumped a bunch of antifreeze in the oil it may have messed up the blower. I'd drain it and refill with fresh. If it's squalling you've probably got a problem. I'm a novice at blowers but it just makes mechanical sense if the oil was contaminated.

Unless you live in California, there is no reason to have a smog pump. It makes no difference in passing emissions if the car has been running for more that 15 minutes.

Kurt

I've already ditched the thermactor system. Everything disconnected. Only have pump on for a pulley until I figure out what I'm going to do.

For now I'm just trying to figure out if the whine is a problem. Tomorrow I will disconnect the super to determine which device is whining. Then if it's my super I'm going to tear it down and rebuild it.

I've already ditched the thermactor system. Everything disconnected. Only have pump on for a pulley until I figure out what I'm going to do.

For now I'm just trying to figure out if the whine is a problem. Tomorrow I will disconnect the super to determine which device is whining. Then if it's my super I'm going to tear it down and rebuild it.

Send me your SC and I'll test it out on my car for you ;)

Sooooo, funny thing, maybe not so funny. I just never had time to work on car this weekend but I did change the oil and when I change the oil I always blow out the fitting feeding the super like a good boy.

I saw a small cloud of oil blow out which I never seen before... it was thick. It has sat ever since. I jumped in the car last night for a quickie. Ran some backpacking gear over to my cousins and returned some gear oil to the parts store(decided to do RP instead-$hit is expensive).

Ran down the road never heard the whine. Got into town, never heard the whine. Got home, no whine.

Makes me wonder if I was simply starving the vortech of oil, and if so, praying it's not damaged. But, for now, and I havn't inspected under the hood yet, it's running like normal with just a whistle at floating RPM's.

We shall see.