super T-10 into 67 cougar/mustang

I tried doing a sear on this here, at corral, and mercurycougar forums to no avail...

This is for a 67 cougar, currently with a 289.
Can I mate a GM super T-10 to a ford small or big block?
the reason I ask this is I can get one cheap, that I know is rebuilt and good to go. But I don't want to buy to find out that I can't use it.
1. Will it fit in the tranny tunnel?
2. Will the input or output shaft need to be changed?
3. Will the shifter line up with the hole in the tunnel? I thinking yes on this one becuase T-5's will fit in both ford and chevys.
4. Most inmortant, has anyone tried this?
thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

Can I mate a GM super T-10 to a ford small or big block?
the reason I ask this is I can get one cheap, that I know is rebuilt and good to go. But I don't want to buy to find out that I can't use it.
1. Will it fit in the tranny tunnel?
2. Will the input or output shaft need to be changed?
3. Will the shifter line up with the hole in the tunnel? I thinking yes on this one becuase T-5's will fit in both ford and chevys.
4. Most inmortant, has anyone tried this?

There are adapters that allow you to bolt a GM pattern trans to a Ford bellhousing and vice versa but this is not a feasible swap.

You will need a pilot bushing adaper, A GM clutch disc, A T-10 shifter, A GM transmission yoke, an adapter u-joint, and possibly a custom speedometer cable to fit the T-10 mounting hole. You may need to modify the crossmember depending on where the mount lies.

All in all, yes it CAN be done, but my vote would be NO it should not be done. By the time you go thru the extra expense and effort, even if the T-10 were a freebie, you probably could have bought a toploader that truly is a bolt-in.

thanks for the speed reply.
I can probably get my hands on the yoke and shifter easily enough, the clutch and adatpter might make things interesting though.
the reason I'm asking about the super t-10 is i know that they can take a good beating, and i can get a deal on one.
The reason I'm not leaning toward a toplader is the $$$, they're not cheap and would already require the above peices that you mentioned.
So, Are the input and out put shfts diffent? compared to a toploader? or regular t10?
Is the shifter in the same location?
thanks again.

If you are going through all the work, why not install a T5?

They can be bought in good condition for under $500, will give you a 5th gear, and will still be easier to install than the T10

Let me be blunt.....this is a dumb idea. The GM super T-10 is not that good that it is worth the effort, otherwise many others would have already done this swap. If you really want a T-10, get the Ford version and be done with it.

It is not worth the time, money, or effort to do this. You will spend more of each to end up with a transmission that is less effective and more expensive than a toploader.