Supercharged Head Gasket Trouble

elarm1

10 Year Member
Dec 17, 2010
N.Va
Well I had symptoms of a blown head gasket. The car got hot on me twice. Once a water pump gaskey failure and the second a serpentine belt failure. I fixed the problems but was then plagued with coolant blowing out of the reservoir. Coolant smelled burnt and i had some time this evening so I decided to pull the heads. Five hours later my suspicions were confirmed, blown between 2,4 and 6,7. I believe it was a few reasons why they blew but its all water under the bridge now, time to fix her back up! I also found a broken clip on my new roller rockers from lmr. I will be contacting them tomorrow. Pics for the carnage show!
uploadfromtaptalk1450760132543.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1450760141267.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1450760147442.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1450760153579.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1450760161766.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1450760168430.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1450760177644.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1450760184739.jpg

Head gaskets are 9333 pt1s arp studs that were over torqued.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

Yikes! Sounds like you can get her running relatively soon though. I'm sure LMR will also help you out with that clip.

Probably a newb question, but do you think the over torqued studs are the root cause? I'm assuming over torquing them allows them to yield under boost.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think a combo of heat, arp stud torque, and tune all contributed to my problem. After its all buttoned up, I will get my tune checked out. I'm sending the heads to get checked this week and should have them back by next week so we'll see!

Well i thought it was lmr that I bought the lifters from but it was Summit R. I called them and expressed the failure that i experience with the rockers and they told me the Ford Racing Roller lifters that were bought brand NEW were NOT under any warranty. This makes me believe that these may be knock off from wherever parts. SMH. Any who, I have a set from a stock low mileage 5.0 that will fit the bill. I will be dropping the heads off to my machinist tomorrow and getting my warranty money back from all my gaskets i destroyed

@A5literMan, think i should rip em all out and proceed to using my old stock or what?

damn,,, you can't even buy frikking FRPP lifters now? I'd go with crane if they are not an arm and a leg. I'd hate to see you throw it all together with a set of used ones and then hear a tick or worse- you bottom out the plunger

Reactions: 1 user
Morels are nice if you want to spend big money. Don't buy comp cams "stock replacements". I've been told by 2 experts that they are junk. Crane are supposed to be good(as Mike stated above). You can try the frpp's again if you dare. They just have been kind of hit and miss lately from what I've read. I used them...fingers crossed lol.

I will be taking mine apart soon too. Before I do, I have a combustion in coolant test kit to use on it just to see. I'm also planning a cranking compression test for some date before tear down. I'll let you know what I find.

That sounds about right. Cast Iron is some tough stuff.... It takes about 500 hp's to start ripping out threads!!!
Update: I dropped off my heads at my machinist and should have them back this week. I'll start putting it back together this week so it can be home in time for corn flakes!

Reactions: 1 user