Supercharger and EFI in a 65

red65

Apr 12, 2003
Ann Arbor, MI
Now that my '65 has been done for a year, been to the road course a few times, and is running like a champ with the Systemax / EFI setup, I've come to a critical conclusion:

fasterer is betterer

I searched on this and didn't find the answer I was looking for - who's done a centrifugal supercharger install on a 5.0 (or 351)EFI in a '65/66? My concerns are all packaging, since all the kits on the market were made for fox or SN95 cars. So:

- Intake pipe looks like it would be a tight fit to the passenger-side shock tower. I found one post where the author said he removed the EGR spacer to make this fit. Anyone else have experience with this?

- Thinking about the usual candidates for the blower - Vortech S-trim, Novi (1000 or 2000), or maybe a Powerdyne BD... What packaging problems? Possibly insufficient room for the alternator underneath the blower? Hood clearance?

- Whatever else I'm not thinking of...

Anyone done a write-up on an installation like this? Thanks Guys!:D

• Sponsors (?)

I'm curious, Edelbrock makes their own EFI kits for SB Fords that look real nice. They look a lot like a carb set up too. Could you use say a Paxton Novi on it? The I know the Paxton is made for carbed cars, but the physical setup looks very similar. Just a thought.

MYTOYS had a sweet 66 fastback with a supercharged EFI motor. Everything was polished. I haven't seen that guy in a long time. If you want to talk EFI and superchargers I'd ask on the 5.0 foxbody section. The underhood clearance issue is something different. I'm putting a Vortech on a 351W in a 66. I have the head unit mounted and already know I'm going to have a hood problem. I'm trying to keep it somewhat of a sleeper.

xj220 said:
I'm curious, Edelbrock makes their own EFI kits for SB Fords that look real nice. They look a lot like a carb set up too. Could you use say a Paxton Novi on it? The I know the Paxton is made for carbed cars, but the physical setup looks very similar. Just a thought.

Interesting suggestion, but I'd hate to trash the EFI system that's already on the car and working great. Thanks!

Will the poster on the stanginfo.com supercharger table please step forward?!:flag: