supercharger, tt, or turbocharger

Is upgrading too a twin turbo, supercharger, or turbocharger too much for my setup?
I am looking at between 9-12lbs of boost. I know superchargers have high boost and high rpms and turbos have high boost at low and high rpms. That is what makes me lean toward a twin turbo. :nice:
Would I need a forged crankshaft and connecting rods or am I good with the setup I have now? :shrug:
I do not have any extra money as of now and am looking to upgrade next summer. :( I do not want some cheap ebay twin turbo either. (I heard the heads crack pretty quick after warrenty expires)
Any input or bias toward kits, some differences between kits, where to find them cheapest, what setups you guys run or have in the past, and advice would be great.
I did run a Vortec V-2 at 8psi that a friend let me rent for the summer. (I didn't set it up or pay close attention while it was) So I am still in the dark as to how these setups work, but I am researching the terms.
Thankyou:hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

IIMO a twin turbo kit would be overkill. Superchargers are abundant and relatively easy to buy and install. Depending on the model, Kenne Bell for example will be more low/mid, where as a Vortech will be more mid/high. A turbo on the other hand is more "difficult" to install, and is isually more mid/high end. When you combine that with the low end torque of a 5.0, I'd go with a turbo kit. You might even be able to "build" your own turbo kit.
If you plan on running 9-12 psi, I would atleast do forged pistons, if they block is in good shape. But why not do rods and crank while the pistons are out;)

I went turbo just from the point of being easier on the block. I run about 12 psi and have not had any problems. I have a stock bottom and top as far as that goes. I didn't know about installing it when I bought it. So there were lots of baby steps to get it complete. It will take you longer than a supercharger to install, but IMO, let your motor be with you longer.

Paul

I went turbo just from the point of being easier on the block. I run about 12 psi and have not had any problems. I have a stock bottom and top as far as that goes. I didn't know about installing it when I bought it. So there were lots of baby steps to get it complete. It will take you longer than a supercharger to install, but IMO, let your motor be with you longer.

Paul

I swear the turbo was the best and I miss the boost feeling of a turbo already, but "mamma mia" when it comes to install and friggn heat! :notnice:

Blowers slap on and off with no effort but the belt power over exhaust power, the turbo wins hands down IMO/exp. :flag:

Just so everyone knows what I am shooting for, I want between 475-550rwhp and around 500-550rwtq.
I want to keep my power steering, a/c pump, and smog (if possible)
My egr valve is going to be removed.
I do not want to do any more internal engine work (maybe E303 cam later on)
The car is not set up for drag and will not be used as such very often.
I am looking for soming powerful in low and mid rpms (2000-5000/6000) and run boost at around 10-12psi. (will a good tune allow more?)
The car will only see spring-fall driving.
Would a single turbo be more practicle then a twin or would the twin deliver more goods with smaller turbos.
What sizes do you recomend as well?
:hail2:

Try using a quad turbo roller carb drawthrough setup? lol yes a roller turbo its new idea and plans/setup I have and the results will scare you. 50psi+ is easy with no heat! how about using 1 turbo at a time? want instant low end response, lets say about 1200rpm? forget whipples and high priced turbo setups! then if you need that extra boost add another turbo using a roller! how about 4-6hp per cube? more will come from me soon. it's all BS untill you meet me in the fort worth area all you will ever see is my rearend. But I'll be nice to let you catch up and give your doors back.

Turbo is probably the best if you have the money to do it all the "right way". I know Im not going to boost my stang but am going to turbo my b16CRX in the future and learned a bit about that.

My stang is my daily driver and I just want a s/c because of how much easier it is to do. It looks like its a pita to get a turbo in our engine bays.

Overall do a turbo if you can build it "right" if not just s/c it

Hello, if you are looking for TQ just off idle then I would go with a Roots type blower. It will give a flat boost curve straight off idle. The turbos and centrifugal blowers will produce max boost at higher RPM. A blower would be an easier install.

http://www.turbo-owners.com/forum/general-turbo-tech/113-turbochargers-vs-superchargers.html

Actually, a turbo gives you the best of both worlds. As soon as it's spooled up, you'll have full boost until redline. With a properly sized turbo on a mild setup this should be from below 3000 rpm on up.

It's also worth noting that a twin setup is no more overkill than a single. With a twin setup you will gain slightly better spool time…at a cost however of more underhood heat and a bit more clutter. For me however the symmetry of it all along with simply the coolness factor of a twin setup was well worth it. The underhood heat really is not as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. As long as you install everything properly and route your wires, cables etc away from the heat all is good.

Since you have until next summer, you will have plenty of time to do some reSEARCH.

I'm with this guy... based off the questions you are asking and plans to slap an e-cam into your twin turbo setup, I think you really need to read up on what exactly this entails.

I'd go to turbomustangs.com and read everything.

Your power goals as stated are achievable via a well matched and tuned 302 based HCI combo and a vortec supercharger. This would be the cheapest and easiest to install route.

Adam