Suspected intake crak but I'm not sure.

SilverHorse

Sep 2, 2003
Palm Harbor, FL
Note the pool of coolant on the injector. When the gas is pressed there is a small drop that drips very slowly. What do you guys thnk this is?

Attachments

• intake1.JPG
    intake1.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 107
  • intake2.JPG
    intake2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Sponsors (?)

SilverHorse said:
Note the pool of coolant on the injector. When the gas is pressed there is a small drop that drips very slowly. What do you guys thnk this is?

Have someone give it gas up to about 4500 rpms and see what you can. Mine would squirt out pretty bad at those rpms.

Cracked intake would be my guess.

I had a similar leak and when I took it in to the dealer they told me the intake was cracked. A far too common problem ...so common that there has been a class action lawsuit against Ford. Not sure if you got a letter in the mail, but check out: www.fordmanifoldsettlement.com

Court is set to decide on the 7th of this month.

Attachments

• 2005_0303Car0002.jpg
    2005_0303Car0002.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 66
git-it-83 said:
Getting warmer....
How about oil coloration and level? Is the coolant leaking externally or weeping internally as well?

Search: I have the letter.

Git:
I haven't detected it in the oil but all of the sudden my car leaks oil. This just started this weekend. I recently had the throwout bearing and clutch done though. I'm not sure if that is related but it was done two weeks ago.

SilverHorse said:
Search: I have the letter.

Git:
I haven't detected it in the oil but all of the sudden my car leaks oil. This just started this weekend. I recently had the throwout bearing and clutch done though. I'm not sure if that is related but it was done two weeks ago.

I would definitely have my ears in tune, listening for the verdict on that settlement letter. Isn't the result supposed to be communicated on 10/7?

I think you have the cracked plastic junker on there, but would be best suited to view "in person". Tough saying 100%, but that is my vote. :flag:

I just had a leak problem crop up too. Mine's in the front and drips on top of the engine block. :bang:

Waiting on that verdict later this week to see what happens. Would like to get this fixed for little or nothing.

All cars with the plastic intake are covered in the class action suit, not just mustangs either. But there was a silent recall that the '98s weren't covered in. That's why there is the law suit. Most likely you are in the early stages of the leak. I would start thinking about a replacement manifold. You can get a non-PI intake with the aluminum runner. I was lucky enough to get mine early through Randy Stinchcomb who frequents Modular Depot. He's a parts manager somewhere near Baltimore. GEF used to have them for cheap too. It's not too bad of a job to do yourself. I have pics at webshots. Click here for my pics...

Now's the time to decide if you are going to fix this with a non-PI intake or go a bit further (in effort and money) and switch to a PI intake.

Could only help going PI Intake. If you think you can hold off, you might want to wait to see what happens to the suit before you do anything. If your short on funds, Ford might change it out for you. Only it would most likely be an NPI intake with an updated aluminum crossover.
My vote, given the limited view of the pics, it that you do indeed have the cracked intake manifold problem.

Well, I'm going to wait as long as I can because of money but if the car has to come apart I should do it right and go PI. Anything else is just dumb. I had the throw out bearing replaced not too long ago and while it was apart I had the clutch and everything else that could go wrong in that area redone. It wouldn't make sense not to do it right. I didn't really have the cash for all of that but I'd rather do it right once than do it twice.