suspension Q's from a newb

havi

Mar 9, 2006
Are there any sites or books that will explain suspension tuning for these cars? IE: lowering springs, bump steer effects from, etc...Or AX racing suspension tuning? I'm looking to lower my '62 Fairlane and since these suspensions are similar to early Stangs, I'm hoping there are some books or sites I can read. Also one thing I have read is a 2" lowering coil, but I wonder if that's available aftermarket, or if the owner had to cut it down. Most coils I have seen only offer 1" drop. Forgive my newbness, but I'm just getting started on the suspension of this car, and wold like to be pointed in the right direction. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

there are several good suspension books on the market today, but they all are general knowledge and theory. to get specific it is best to talk to people like us on this forum. if you want to lower the car more than one inch, i suggest using lowering spindles rather than springs as it maintains the suspension geometry while lowering the car. fatman fabrication as well as a few others have lowering spindles, though they use the granada brakes which is a good system to use, it just means that you cant use the four piston kelsy-hayes calipers. at the rear i would use a combination of lowering blocks and mid eye leaf springs.dont for get to lower the upper control arm pivot point one inch to improve suspension geometry. you want to use a one inch front sway bar and a 3/4 inch rear bar.