SVT newbie..what do you think about these mods

ive had a 94 GT and a 96 GT...i loved them.. just bought a 97 Cobra...its a stick shift, low miles.. the car now flys i think.and is a blast.. im going to do suspension and rotors and stuff but for motor work i was thinking this

BBK cold air
BBK x pipe(no converters)
flow master american thunder cat back
MIL eliminators
Super chips Programmer

.. im not looking to make it a drag car or anything.. as i think now the car is plenty fast enough and a blast.. but will these parts add enough HP to be worth it? i want it to be safe, lil more power, and sound good...

• Sponsors (?)

DANfromNBP said:
ive had a 94 GT and a 96 GT...i loved them.. just bought a 97 Cobra...its a stick shift, low miles.. the car now flys i think.and is a blast.. im going to do suspension and rotors and stuff but for motor work i was thinking this

BBK cold air
BBK x pipe(no converters)
flow master american thunder cat back
MIL eliminators
Super chips Programmer

.. im not looking to make it a drag car or anything.. as i think now the car is plenty fast enough and a blast.. but will these parts add enough HP to be worth it? i want it to be safe, lil more power, and sound good...

The tune you get should take care of the check engine light/code thrown by the PCM when the front cats are gone, so don't bother with MILs.

Wait on the cold air.

I would do the chip and midpipe first, simultaneously. Then, GEARS!

DANfromNBP said:
and i am getting a programmer.. not just a pre-set chip.. or did you mean the same thing?

also is a diablo sport tuner better?
for 96 and up vehicles a programmer is used instead of a chip, it doesn't really matter which tuner u buy, it all depends who pre programmed it, unless u wanna tune it yourself... the sct xcalibrator offers the widest range of tuning( i have the xcalibrator for my S/C gt, programmed by modular depot and it runs great), and i wouldn't get BBK exhaust, it sux, check out hooker headers i heard they have great long tubes for mustangs, i have mac exhaust, its the best bang for ur buck

my 94 and 96 stang ran lean from changing the exhaust and intake.. will the programmer fix this?

also i dont want headers.. im getting a BBK x-pipe, not headers.. bbk are really the only x pipes w/o cats made for cobras...

and i dont like mac exhaust.. my friends have them.. they sound good when its idleing...after that :notnice:

akautosport said:
for 96 and up vehicles a programmer is used instead of a chip, it doesn't really matter which tuner u buy, it all depends who pre programmed it, unless u wanna tune it yourself... the sct xcalibrator offers the widest range of tuning( i have the xcalibrator for my S/C gt, programmed by modular depot and it runs great), and i wouldn't get BBK exhaust, it sux, check out hooker headers i heard they have great long tubes for mustangs, i have mac exhaust, its the best bang for ur buck
I am sorry, but you can use a chip for the 96+ cars as well. MD does it with the SCT 4 bank chips and WMSracing uses diablo chips as well. If you go headers, do not get shorties as for the price it cost to get them, install them you get 5-8 rwhp where Longtubes you can see 20+. I would look at Kooks, Hooker and flowtech(hooker knockoffs as they are owned and made by Hooker)

Personally I would stay away from BBK exhaust, and the JLT, K&N fipk, or a Desnecharger are the ONLY cai I would get. I would look into some gears to wake the car up and make it a blast to drive even if you dont race. Nothing less than a 4.10 gear. 3.73's and 3.55's don't do a dag gone thing for our cars.

b1ackfang said:
If you go headers, do not get shorties as for the price it cost to get them, install them you get 5-8 rwhp where Longtubes you can see 20+.

Not true...while you may get 20+ hp from long tubes in the low-mid RPM ranges, peak power gains by both shorties and long tube headers is similar...I sure didn't see 20hp at peak from my long tubes...but I did get good gains in other places of the RPM band

im not doing headers any way so that does not matter..lol.

so whos a good X pipe then? MustangTuning.com has their X Pipe for $169 is that good? i dont want to spend a ton of money on it..

i figure the cai, x pipe, cat back, programmer will do good no?

ill more than likley do the gears in it..

but do you guys see anything wrong with a programmer with just the catback x pipe and cai for mods? ... im not doing headers... end of story.lol

DANfromNBP said:
my 94 and 96 stang ran lean from changing the exhaust and intake.. will the programmer fix this?

also i dont want headers.. im getting a BBK x-pipe, not headers.. bbk are really the only x pipes w/o cats made for cobras...

and i dont like mac exhaust.. my friends have them.. they sound good when its idleing...after that :notnice:

I wouldent touch BBK. If you want top quality you should look at Bassani X and Catback or the Borla Catback. I would use the K&N FIPK.