swap 95 5.0 v8 into a 96 coupe with a 3.8 v6?

midnighthawk

Nov 14, 2004
Has anyone swapped a 1996 mustang coupe 3.8 v6 motor with a 5.0 HO v8 motor that came from a 1995 musantg gt?? I plan on keeping automatic trans and efi.. I know computer,wiring harness,front springs, and rear end gear to 8.8 needs to be changed. Anything else maybe headers for 5.0 will they fit ok? I will be also going with offroad h pipe with flowmasters and 3 inch tips..
If anyone has any information to help me with this swap I would really appreciate it.. I know body styles are the same except for tail lights..
Hope some one can give me a detailed list of all parts I will need..
thanks again.... :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

midnighthawk said:
Has anyone swapped a 1996 mustang coupe 3.8 v6 motor with a 5.0 HO v8 motor that came from a 1995 musantg gt?? I plan on keeping automatic trans and efi.. I know computer,wiring harness,front springs, and rear end gear to 8.8 needs to be changed. Anything else maybe headers for 5.0 will they fit ok? I will be also going with offroad h pipe with flowmasters and 3 inch tips..
If anyone has any information to help me with this swap I would really appreciate it.. I know body styles are the same except for tail lights..
Hope some one can give me a detailed list of all parts I will need..
thanks again.... :nice:
No replies? I thought I would get some help from some of the experts on this site dedicated to the beloved stangs.. :(

96-98 Mustangs are a tad more work but its all good. First thing you need would be a k-member because 96-98 is different. After that it should be down hill with wiring and changing harnesses out. Donor car would be excellent. go to my site. It has good info about it.

Danny

Yeah, wiring and fitment are the major problems. Thankfully they put the 5.0's in the SN95's.

You would need the k-member, motor mounts, wiring, etc etc.... A big job, but certainly feasible.

Quick question. What about passing emmisions? Did they add anything to the 4.6L motors that needs to be carrier over??
Scott

I just finished the swap for my girl. She has a 96 V6 and now it's a
5.0 V8. You don't need a K-member. They only changed it for the
GT's in 96, not the V6's. You really need a donor car to make life simple.
If you don't then Sorscode's website has a good list to follow.
also check out these two articles:

http://www.stangparts.com/howto/5.0/v8

http://www.stangparts.com/howto/superford/tticker

Take your time and don't get frustrated and it goes very smooth.
Only took me 2 days. Good luck. :)

rangerman312 said:
Um what was done for emissions and if you live where they dont apply what can be done?

Screw emissions. If you dont live in california then dont sweat that crap.

The swap should be easy if you got some help, some beer and some time. That way you wont get frustrated and start throwing wrenches.