Swapped the 2v for a 4v but engine won't start

Ice782

Jun 24, 2003
Crofton, MD
My mechanic put everything together and tried to start the car but it didn't start. Everything has been done to according to specs, but we are obviously missing something. It is a 99 5-speed GT --> Cobra. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here are the things that can be eliminated:

-The engine is getting spark, so thats not an issue
-I got the tuner (with the tune) from JMS. Confirmed that it worked (Had to send the chip back, eventually bought the tuner)
-Injectors/MAF are correct (as per Cobra Specs)
-ECU is correct (Cobra ECU)

My mechanic said he is in the process of figuring it out...
He had suggested that it may not be getting enough fuel, it does have the GT fuel pump. He said he could not conclude that was the case though.

So what do you guys think??

• Sponsors (?)

not only do you have to check fuel pressure and spark....you also have to check and see if the fuel injectors are pulsing. this can be done by unplugging an injector and using a tool called a noid light. any good mechanic should have a set of noids. if the light is flashing then it is good..but if no flash then the injectors are not being commanded to open..therefore no fuel in the cylinder..therfore engine does not run. i would check this next if i was you and report with findings. the PATS system when engaged turns the injector pulse off...keep that in mind. you may need a new key if the computer doesn't recognize your key. being that you should be using the cobra computer i would look into this, but check the noid light first..b/c if that is flashing then PATS isnt engaged.

Yep PATS has been turned off. I was also under the impression that the GT pump would be good enough (but also understood that I would eventually want to upgrade).

My mech. told me he was going to check the pulse coming from the injectors, in the process of figuring out what would be causing the problem. He told me that there was pressure, but he was under the impression that the DOHC motor commanded more pressure (then what was being produced) and thought that the engine might not be responding because it needed more to produce the initial start (Or something to that effect)

Both my mechanic and I have contacted JMS to make sure the PATS had been turned off. The first time I had to send the chip back because it wasn't. I upgraded to the programmer and MADE SURE the PATS had been turned off before they sent it back to me.

On a side note...If I do replace the pump, do I need to retune my programmer...or will it be fine?

Ice782 said:
Yep PATS has been turned off. I was also under the impression that the GT pump would be good enough (but also understood that I would eventually want to upgrade).

My mech. told me he was going to check the pulse coming from the injectors, in the process of figuring out what would be causing the problem. He told me that there was pressure, but he was under the impression that the DOHC motor commanded more pressure (then what was being produced) and thought that the engine might not be responding because it needed more to produce the initial start (Or something to that effect)

Both my mechanic and I have contacted JMS to make sure the PATS had been turned off. The first time I had to send the chip back because it wasn't. I upgraded to the programmer and MADE SURE the PATS had been turned off before they sent it back to me.

On a side note...If I do replace the pump, do I need to retune my programmer...or will it be fine?

The pump will be fine, like I said, as long as it is working right. The supercharged saleens use a the stock GT pump, so it is good to at least the 330 rwhp range. If you upgrade the pump, you will not need a re-tune.

Wait. are you not getting fuel or getting fuel?
if your not getting fuel, Did u check the fuel shut off switch in ur trunk?

Don't lough. I spent over $750 to change new pump, new injecters, and clean fuel line to get my old focus to run.

Turned out that somehow inortia switch got turned off.

I was very very VERY upset when i flip the switch and car ran like nothing happend.

I'll have him check the connections. The SCT plugs in under the dash so I am not sure about whether it is a connecting issue or not.

From what I understand, he told me is that there is fuel coming out. He did a pressure check but he still had not tested the injector pulse when I talked to him this afternoon. Hopefully that will come up with something...Otherwise, I have no idea what could be the problem.

I did swap the GT computer with a cobra one (which was programmed in the tune). But with the PATS disabled, I don't think it can be a key issue. Other than that, I think it might just be something minor.

This swap has been done so many times that I would imagine that it is just a process of elimination before we find out what is wrong. Are there anymore common problems that people run into while doing this swap?