Swapping in a 5.4l

kuwait

Mar 31, 2005
so i got this killer deal on a 1997 expedition 5.4l engine , full engine with accessories for $300 outright (would be less stripped , like $200 or so) , and i can get the trans for $250 if needed (its a auto) , my question is if i get the block and swap it with mine will i benefit at all? how interchangeable are they , and will it be a direct swap to mate my automatic transmission? i know there is a hood clearance issue with them 5.4l , but i guess i can always get the new intake once it released , i am in no hurry to do the swap and want to do it right the first time.

i did a lot of reading around the subject but never found a clear answer if it would be a direct bolt to my automatic , also the car is NPI how card to swap my mustang PI heads onto it ?

and please no "do 4v" comments , i am just trying to work with what i have around :D

• Sponsors (?)

Kuwait. Sounds like a fun project. Have you done any searches on 5.4L swaps? It doesn't happen very often but it has been done.

yes , i looked into it for a while and i got quotes for everything than needs to be done/swapped out , only problem i am having is wither or not my stang's auto trans will fit into the 5.4l block or not , and is the PI swap on the 5.4l any different from a mustang PI swap.

The bellhousing pattern will be the same on the 4.6 and 5.4, so your automatic should bolt up. Because both the truck and your car are automatics, you won't have to worry about pilot bearings.

Keep in mind, that you won't be able to use a PI 4.6 intake. The 5.4 is taller and the geometry won't let you bolt it on. I'm not sure about the PI heads.

Personally, I don't think the 5.4 is worth it. You gain some torque, but overall horsepower won't change much if any because the flow limit will still be the head/cam/intake combination, and the 5.4/4.6 stuff really doesn't flow enough. What's more, the rod ratio and bore to stroke ratio aren't as favorable as the 4.6. I say, take the money you would spend on this in put it in a jar labeled 'I want boost'. Keep saving until you have enough.

The bellhousing pattern will be the same on the 4.6 and 5.4, so your automatic should bolt up. Because both the truck and your car are automatics, you won't have to worry about pilot bearings.

that's good to hear.

Keep in mind, that you won't be able to use a PI 4.6 intake. The 5.4 is taller and the geometry won't let you bolt it on. I'm not sure about the PI heads.

maybe i should search for a 2000'ish engine , would be abit more pricey but i guess its better safe than sorry , and i was thinking about getting the new 5.4l swap intake , should fit under stock hood.

Personally, I don't think the 5.4 is worth it. You gain some torque, but overall horsepower won't change much if any because the flow limit will still be the head/cam/intake combination, and the 5.4/4.6 stuff really doesn't flow enough. What's more, the rod ratio and bore to stroke ratio aren't as favorable as the 4.6. I say, take the money you would spend on this in put it in a jar labeled 'I want boost'. Keep saving until you have enough.

I feel I want to do something unique , its now about how cost effective things are , i just feel like its a good investment to have , its just a 4.6l with more cubs and no downsides (other than size but that's solved with intake id presume) , i already have stage one cams , getting patriot heads and maybe some rods and pistons with a decent shot of nitrous for a nice oomph effect :D

could you explain more about " the rod ratio and bore to stroke ratio" ?

many thanks.

Rod ratio is the ratio of the length of the rod to the length of the stroke. The better the rod ratio is, the more 'rev happy' an engine will be. When you increase the length of the stroke, it also decreases the length of the rod, which makes your rod ratio worse. It is only one small aspect of engine performance, but still something to think about.

The bore to stroke ratio is the ratio of the bore diameter to the length of the stroke. An engine with a larger bore than stroke is generally more rev happy and likes to make top end power. The 4.6 is very close to square, meaning the stroke is equal to the bore. When you stroke it to 5.4l, the stroke length increases, making the stroke a lot larger than the bore. This is good for making low end torque, but not as good for making top end power.

The ol' 5.0 had a short 3" stroke and a 4" bore. With some simple airflow mods, it could be a real top end screamer. It also responded better to stroking because the bore started out so much bigger than the stroke.

What does all this mean? Well, not all that much... it means your 5.4 may never be a top end screamer like an LS1 or 5.0 with heads and cams, but that's ok too. Torque is definately what makes a car fun to drive and you'll have a bunch more torque with a 5.4 than your 4.6. But it's still won't be as much fun as watching the boost gauge rise. ;)

But it's still won't be as much fun as watching the boost gauge rise.
there is always a place for boost :rolleyes:

also you must be so hooked up on boost because of your 4-cyl turbo hatch which i find sick in many ways :D

just need more guys to come in and confirm the information here and prolly will do the build in a month or so :D

Yup, the 4cyl is definately why I'm addicted to boost. But more than that, boost just makes big torque, and torque is what makes your car feel fast and puts you in the seat. I'm always thinking, if I can do this with a 4cyl, what could I have done with a V8? Well, just look at what SaleenGT2001 has done, with an outright rediculous 751rwhp.

also you must be so hooked up on boost because of your 4-cyl turbo hatch which i find sick in many ways :D

just need more guys to come in and confirm the information here and prolly will do the build in a month or so :D

BHuff30 has pretty much got it right.