symptoms of a clutch failing

hey guys.. im not sure if my clutch has gone out or not... ive never had one go out so dont know what to look for or what.. can you all help me out?? all i do know is when i push in my clutch pedal and its suppose to be like going into neutral it doesnt.. it still dry shifts but the clutch doesnt engage.. plus the cable isnt snapped.

• Sponsors (?)

What's a dry shift?

A failing clutch can slip - that doesnt sound like it's your issue.

It sounds like you think you're having disengagement issues. When you press the clutch pedal to the floor, you disengage the clutch. You're having trouble disengaging, right (it's like the car is kinda stuck in gear. It also might be hard to shift gears).

If you have no slack in the cable and the cable is sound (moving the fork through it's pathway) and yet you still cant disengage the clutch, that's a sign that the clutch took a poo poo.

Good luck and bump.

I had a problem yesterday, with the clutch not disengaging. Here's my thread.

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=648969

It turned out to be a broken clutch cable sheath.

As a check, put your car in 1st, push the clutch pedal to the floor, let off the brake, and see if the car rolls forward. If it does, then the clutch is not disengaging.

If the clutch is not disengaging, then I'd check your clutch cable sheath, then get a new cable, quadrant, and firewall adjuster, because those are relatively easy to replace, and are the most common causes of this problem.

when a clutch is wearing out it tends to slip under excelleration in 4th and 5th gear. it will still hold in 1st 2nd and 3rd to start with. sounds like maybe yours is out of adjustment. perhaps your clutch quadrent is not adjusted tight.

if im in 3rd or 4th gear and i wanna acclerate quick *bash on it i go up to 3k quick then it skips to like 5k then goes down but im not moving .. What would cause this? Its a new clutch , resurfaced flywheel

feifong said:
if im in 3rd or 4th gear and i wanna acclerate quick *bash on it i go up to 3k quick then it skips to like 5k then goes down but im not moving .. What would cause this? Its a new clutch , resurfaced flywheel
How new? Past the break-in period (and was it decently broken in)?

Otherwise, I'd check for a clutch adjustment that's too tight. Your Point of engagement would be pretty high on the pedal travel (you wouldnt need to push the pedal very far down to change gears).

About all that's left is the clutch itself.

Good luck.