symptoms of catalytic converter meltdown

Team:
I just picked up a rattle in my new mufflers that presents itself during acceleration. I am concerned that my converters are throwing up and might be causing this annoyance. I have noticed that the exhaust gasses have been a little sweeter as of late, but I don't notice any smoke or particles. What are some effects of a catalytic converter breakup that would be noticeable before next weekend when I can put the car up and investigate further? I am hoping it is just a brake cable contacting the mufflers, because a new H-pipe would be bitter sweet right now.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts, suggestions and prayers.
- Dan

• Sponsors (?)

They make noise. Mine rattled around until it turned sideways and cut the exhaust off which killed the engine. I had to loosen the header pipe so i could drive it to the muffler shop. My daughters car continued tomake noise until i took it in where the muffler guy opened it up and removed the cake. I have to replace that cat later but its drivable for now.

How to tell if the cats are clogged - the best thing is to buy a Chilton's Mustang 1989-1992 repair manual and read the complete procedure. It's on page 4-22 & 4-23 in the Emission Controls section in the manual I have.
Attach the vacuum gauge to the vacuum tree on the driver' side firewall. There are some spare connections to make it easy to do.

49590d1174755771-jrichker-chilton-4-22.gif

49591d1174755798-jrichker-chilton-4-23.gif