Synthetic Oil Question

snkypete said:
As for getting oil analyzed - you should have it done intermittently no matter what if you TRULY care about your motor. Someone like you with a stock car trying to be tough behind a keyboard probably doesn't need it - but those who build actual motors, getting your oil analyzed is key....you can actual determine the state of your motor by doing them.

But hey you know everything right?

How often do you cut your oil filter open to inspect it? I'm sure all the time right? :rolleyes: Hope you're better with the insults than you are the car knowledge.

Can the rest of us return to discussing oil now? Thanks.

youre modded. wow. youre a better person. come on, seriously. fine, we will have a serious discussion.

when i had my s/c buick riviera i was told by several mechanics (professionals), not some garage people who claim to know cars, that i should, since i had forced induction, change my oil (mobil 1 synth. 5w-30) every 5k miles, to be absolutely sure i was getting OPTIMAL protection to my motor, even though i could go more. why? if you can afford the dough and the 15 mins, theres really no reason to drag it on to 25k miles, unless you dont have the funds.

pete, its not a big deal. really.

• Sponsors (?)

snkypete said:
You flame me, I flame you back. Don't flame me, I don't flame you. It's that simple. You flamed me....then you don't expect it back?

You change your oil every 5k for no reason so why not change your brakes and hoses every 5k for no reason? It's a serious question. Unless the oil is contaminated or has been broken down there is no reason to change it - period. No one can determine by looking at oil that is has broken down (unless it is an extreme situation where antifreeze has entered the system or something like that) so if you're not sending it out to be analyzed, how can you say that it cannot survive and provide adequate protection for a longer period?

You guys keep taking cheap shots....not a problem...it shows you know nothing about the actual topic. If you'd like to discuss facts, I've been waiting.

I flamed you? No. I don't appericate your smart ass remarks, and im positive no one else does here. I don't care if you took my "fact" that you are being arrogant the wrong way, but instead your being immature about it and you're the one throwing cheap shots at us, because we "dont know anything". If you don't care about our opinons, then why do you take them so seriously? I said I was wrong, and you still were a smart ass about it.

Why do you care so much if we arnt conservative with our oil and you are? It's our opinion weither or not if we want to change our oil at 3k miles and not 25k, but no, instead of giving us some ignorant questions like, "Why dont you change your brakes and hoses every 5k miles"? Considering its not wasting time, and for most people, its not wasting money because its considered normal upkeep.

Do you replace your broom everytime it looses a bristle?

It's not an ignorant question, it's very valid.

The point is it normal maintenance with synthetic doesn't require the oil to be changed at 5k. Simple. Fact.

Do I replace my broom everytime it loses a bristle? Nope, and thanks for making my point. You don't have to change your oil at 5k...if people want to waste their time and money more power to them. But when people who don't have any knowledge on the subject say it HAS to be done, those who know the truth correct the misinformed statement so others don't get bad information.

I don't take your opinons seriously, your posts have shown me not to take anything you say seriously on this topic. Maybe there is something you guys know about, oil however is not one of them.

snkypete said:
It's not an ignorant question, it's very valid.

The point is it normal maintenance with synthetic doesn't require the oil to be changed at 5k. Simple. Fact.

Do I replace my broom everytime it loses a bristle? Nope, and thanks for making my point. You don't have to change your oil at 5k...if people want to waste their time and money more power to them. But when people who don't have any knowledge on the subject say it HAS to be done, those who know the truth correct the misinformed statement so others don't get bad information.

I don't take your opinons seriously, your posts have shown me not to take anything you say seriously on this topic. Maybe there is something you guys know about, oil however is not one of them.

Well, many people know don't know that, I know it was higher than 7,500, but I didnt know it was as high as you stated it was, but I still change my oil every 3K miles.

It's not a valid question, because your comparing something to what someone would consider normal upkeep on their car, with something else that you do every 50k miles, and you put it in a very arrogant way to try and insult me.

not everyone needs to know every scientific fact about oil to keep their motor safe, like i said before, i dont know every fact about oil

1fast03pony said:
youre modded. wow. youre a better person. come on, seriously. fine, we will have a serious discussion.

when i had my s/c buick riviera i was told by several mechanics (professionals), not some garage people who claim to know cars, that i should, since i had forced induction, change my oil (mobil 1 synth. 5w-30) every 5k miles, to be absolutely sure i was getting OPTIMAL protection to my motor, even though i could go more. why? if you can afford the dough and the 15 mins, theres really no reason to drag it on to 25k miles, unless you dont have the funds.

pete, its not a big deal. really.

Me being modded has nothing to do with the conversation, discussing facts about oil and not hearsay is the topic. I'm sure there are plenty of others out there that know a lot more about oil than I do as well.

Again, where are the facts? Because they said so? Why? What data? Show me where the oil has been deteriorated. Again, yes with a forced induction setup (turbos more than s/c's as well) you have to be more attentive.

For me, it's not about the money or the time (those are points I brought up that might be important to others), it's about why do it if it is not required? You're not being 'safe'. Being safe is changing it when the analysis says to. When it comes back and shows metal levels at or near zero, why change it?

It's not a big deal I agree....you guys want to attack me and turn it into one...that's fine. Again, if you want to waste time and money that's your choice - no one is saying you don't have that right. But those that say it HAS to be done are wrong, and there are those on here that actually don't know any better - and they are the ones who suffer when incorrect information is posted.

As for who I work for, I work for the New York Power Authority as a Network Analyst. But I don't see what that has to do with the conversation. (Have you seen some of the motors the "shops" build? I have....there are VERY few shops that actually do GOOD work. They are not in it to make your motor well, they are in it for profit and work a 40hr week and go home. That is how corners get cut to get something done "on time" I don't cut corners). I have built several motors - my first when I was 15 19 years ago, my friends have built even more, and am starting the build of my stroker motor at the end of this month. I built a 351w for my 68 coupe, I built a 347ci for my old car that made 493/582, I've built motors for friends as well.

snkypete said:
Syntec is generally regarded as the lesser of the synthetics based upon how it does on stress tests and wear tests. It is still better than non-synthetic, but it's not as good as the others listed. (And I am a huge John Force fan and would support Castrol if I could).

There's no harm in changing to another brand.

Thanks! :flag:

Ok. This thread has gotten WAY out of hand. I think the point has been made and the readers are more than able to make up their own minds. I feel good points have been made on both sides. Yes, I believe you can push synthetic oil longer than 3k miles. Do I think you should change it if you can afford to buy more oil and most importantly, have a warranty on the car ? Yes. Do I feel you should push the motor oil longer than 3k miles if you dont have the extra money to waste and if you no longer have a warranty to worry about ? Yes.

I will be doing an oil swap for Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter in my car at my next oil change. I will probably change it out again 3k miles later. Possibly 5k. I'll also do regular 1k mile internval checks on the coloration of the oil and let you know how it looks and holds up.

I saw this oil thread on here, and had to ask some of you guys a few questions. First off, I am running fully synthetic mobil 1 5w-30 with a mobil 1 filter. I have alittle over 1500 miles since the last change, and am probably going to hold out until around 7000. With the synthetic oil, the car starts up really easily in the winter, which is a big plus where I live, as it is usually really cold this time of year. My question is this, when I do change my oil next, what brand should I buy? Everyone raves about mobil 1, but I also hear people talking up amsoil often too? Are redline or royal purple any better, and if they are, where can I buy them, besides the internet? Should I stick with the mobil 1, or go with something else? Any responses are appreciated. Thanks.

RussStang said:
I saw this oil thread on here, and had to ask some of you guys a few questions. First off, I am running fully synthetic mobil 1 5w-30 with a mobil 1 filter. I have alittle over 1500 miles since the last change, and am probably going to hold out until around 7000. With the synthetic oil, the car starts up really easily in the winter, which is a big plus where I live, as it is usually really cold this time of year. My question is this, when I do change my oil next, what brand should I buy? Everyone raves about mobil 1, but I also hear people talking up amsoil often too? Are redline or royal purple any better, and if they are, where can I buy them, besides the internet? Should I stick with the mobil 1, or go with something else? Any responses are appreciated. Thanks.

The difference between synthetic motor oils is probably minimal. If you want to pick "the best", that would probably be Amsoil since they were the first in synthetics. However, Mobil 1 is just fine.

Coloration of oil does not determine its state unfortunately.

I think the point that was missed is that while of course everyone is entitled to do what they want, it is not necessary to change synthetics on such short intervals.

If I were to rate synthetic oils :

Amsoil
Mobil1
RedLine/Royal Purple (about even)
Syntec

This is partially opinion and partially from actual laboratory data and tests.

All these arguments and you didn't even cover the brands out there.

I've heard that Quaker State has just come out with a full synthetic 5W20 - anybody try it.

Also where can Mobil 0W20 be purchased in Toronto, Canada - can't find any dealers carrying it and our winters are very cold here.

Dark Knight GT said:
The difference between synthetic motor oils is probably minimal. If you want to pick "the best", that would probably be Amsoil since they were the first in synthetics. However, Mobil 1 is just fine.

Thanks for the info :nice: I figured mobil 1 would do just fine. After having seen engine teardowns after 150,000 miles on them, and how new they look from running full synth their whole lives, I have been sold on the stuff.

I have another question for you guys. How about synthetic transmission fluid, or synthetic gear oil? Are these worth the money? I don't know much about either of these synth oils, but have heard them mentioned a few times before. I figure they do the same thing as synthetic engine oil does. Are they worth it?

CanuckMustang said:
All these arguments and you didn't even cover the brands out there.

I've heard that Quaker State has just come out with a full synthetic 5W20 - anybody try it.

Also where can Mobil 0W20 be purchased in Toronto, Canada - can't find any dealers carrying it and our winters are very cold here.

I didn't cover the other brands because they aren't even worth mentioning.

Well, many people know don't know that, I know it was higher than 7,500, but I didnt know it was as high as you stated it was, but I still change my oil every 3K miles.

Now that is a statement.

Jades... All Pete is trying to do is lay out some facts to get you open your mind to something you've been lead to believe is the end all, be all, of engine maintenance. I too was a believer in the 3000 mile oil change for most of my adult life, until I studied the information.. Hell there are over the road drivers that haul 60k pounds daily in there rigs with good filtration systems getting 100 to 150k miles on their oil, with just filter changes. (With periodic oil analysis of course). The point is.. Using synthetic oil, and doing 3 to 5 thousand mile oil changes is rediculous. If you're going to change your oil that often, just go back to petroleum based oils, or your just pissing money down the toilet. :bang:

Purebred said:
Seems like there are some people in here who know something about oil :D

What about Castrol Syntec? That's what my mechanics use, and they say that it meets or exceeds the standards for all manufacturer warranties - and that it should be changed ~7500 miles or so.

What do you all think?

Also, is there any harm in changing from Castrol to another synthetic?

Castrol Synthetic is supposed to be a rip-off. I read several articles, one or two may be reprinted on the Mobil-1 site that claims that Castrol up and decided that they could make a cheaper formulation & call it a synthetic.

I understand that there is no trouble switching from one synthetic to another.

RussStang said:
Thanks for the info :nice: I figured mobil 1 would do just fine. After having seen engine teardowns after 150,000 miles on them, and how new they look from running full synth their whole lives, I have been sold on the stuff.

I have another question for you guys. How about synthetic transmission fluid, or synthetic gear oil? Are these worth the money? I don't know much about either of these synth oils, but have heard them mentioned a few times before. I figure they do the same thing as synthetic engine oil does. Are they worth it?

Synthetic transmission fluid and rear differential fluid are good as well. They are definately worth the money as they will protect your transmission and rear differential components better than standard fluid. I just purchased two quarts of Amsoil synthetic 75w-90 rear diff. fluid for my gear change. Right now, Im running Mercon V transmission fluid in my transmission. Mercon V is synthetic blend. Next time I change out the transmission fluid, I'll be using a fully synthetic transmission fluid.