T-45.... T-50 ????

• Sponsors (?)

I am not 100% percent sure but I think that all of them were t-45. A t-50 is the exact same thing as a t-5. Those only come in the fox bodies and I think 94-95 models. t-5 stands for a five speed without overdrive. t-45 is a 4 speed with a overdrive.

i was told this by the mechanic at the ford dealership? i thought they were all t-45 as well. but was told otherwise by the dealership? maybe he doesnt know n e thing, then again.. he sounded like he knew what he was talkin about, and he is an ase certified master mechanic.

trey

i've never heard of a t-50.

the t-5 replaced the srod 4 speed in 83( i believe) and carried over until 96 when the t-45 was used. in 98 the borg-warner t-45 was replaced with the tremec t-45 (mid year). i believe it was '01 when they switched from the t-45 to the 3650.

the 3550 is an aftermarket trans made by tremec.

-derek

Mister Stang said:
The gearing on the 3550 is more aggressive and the tranny is built to handle more horsepower. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are though.

I'm guessing it's a direct swap too. That's great. I kind of prefer Ford to use the cheaper stuff so the initial buy in is still low. Look at what using premium parts did to the Camaro and the Firebird.

Mister Stang said:
The gearing on the 3550 is more aggressive and the tranny is built to handle more horsepower. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are though.

Actually, not exactly. The TR-3550 is rated at 350 ft/lbs of torque, whereas the TR-3650 is rated at 360 ft/lbs. This is how Tremec's model numbers break down. The "TR" stands for Tremec design. The next two numbers (36 in the 3650) multiplied by 10 is nominal torque rating in ft/lbs. The next number, 5, stands for the number of forward gears. The last number, 0, is the design level, or version. I got this from the Tremec service manual for the 3650. The TKO is the TR-3550 II. It is rated at 425 ft/lbs. I'm not positive, but I believe the T-56 is rated at 375 ft/lbs.