Tire age + thoughts on replacement

JJHstang

5 Year Member
Sep 12, 2018
Fort Worth, TX
I believe I found out how to find the age of my tires. BF Goodrich Radial T/A
The DOT # 9 1 2 1 1 1, looking at the last 4 numbers on one of my tires it was made on the 21st week of the year 2011.

I have read different opinions about when tires should be replaced every 6 to 10 years. A few that have went past that by quite a few years.

I have owned my car for 6 years and my tires are now 2 at 12 yrs old, 2 at 13 yrs old and spare never used 11 years old.
Never even thought of checking the age of the tires when I bought the car.
In the 6 yrs I have owned my 71 Mach 1 I have put on approximately 2200 miles. Average 366 miles a year an only had the car over
45 mph maybe a 6 times and only 1 of those over 55.
I don’t even go to car shows if over 10 miles away.
My tires look good no cracks and very good tread. I understand that looks can be deceiving.

What are everyone’s thoughts on tire replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_0933.jpeg
    IMG_0933.jpeg
    611.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0934.jpeg
    IMG_0934.jpeg
    466.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Sponsors (?)

Old tires will look o.k. And when they get hot they'll start to come apart.
Keep you eye on them , no high speeds and you should be fine.

In the 6 yrs I have owned my 71 Mach 1 I have put on approximately 2200 miles
Sitting pulls the chords apart on the flat spot.
Your on the borderline range now.
Nows the time for some giant burnouts, that should have you ready for some new.

Put fresh on it and drive it a lot more.;)

I had the same tires on a 71 Mach 1. The treads looked great, less than 500 kms on them. However, after 7 years the side walls deteriorate. I prefer safety over cost, so I got a few opinions and every one said to change them out. Its not worth the risk.
Happy driving

As a project car, your tires are more likely to come apart from age than from tread wear, if they're looking cracked, if they're looking faded, and you've got the cash, change them out. it's a lot easier to enjoy a car when you're not concerned about the treads falling apart on the road

Reactions: 1 user
At 10 years old, I’d be looking to replace those tires ASAP.

The tires on one of my mustangs is 7 years old and I’ll likely replace those soon due to age even though they only have 1k miles on them.

Reactions: 1 user
I usually put my car up on jack stands over the months I do not drive it which helps with flat spots on the tires. The materials tires are made of typically have a life span of 6 to 10 years depending on care. If the car is garage kept and you maintain them properly (rotate, pressure, etc.) and get the tires off the ground in the months you do not drive it I would say you are towards the 10 years. On performance tires I would tend to be more conservative.