t-5 going out????

ghetto5oh

Sep 18, 2005
so cal
hey guys i was just wondering what are some signs that your t-5 is on its way out. Mine pops out of gear and will sometimes grind from 2nd to 3rd. Im hoping its something a little cheaper like the clutch or something, but if its the tranny how much are the rebuild kits??? Thanks in advance...

• Sponsors (?)

Popping out of gear is usually a good indication that there's something wrong with your trans. The grinding is probably secondary to that, and makes me think your synchros are bad.

Those symptoms are signs of worn synchros and or bent shiftforks. 3rd gear is supposed to be real easy to bend anyhow.

But what i would reccomend is do what i did:
Buy the Video on the t-5 rebuild,
Get a Re-build kit(includes bearings and synchros)

And if you DO find a bent fork replace it.

Anyhow, i just had done this to my car, as 2nd was NOT at all useable, and now it drives/shifts soooo smooth (till i detonate it will excess horsepower)

GreenMustangGt said:
Those symptoms are signs of worn synchros and or bent shiftforks. 3rd gear is supposed to be real easy to bend anyhow.

But what i would reccomend is do what i did:
Buy the Video on the t-5 rebuild,
Get a Re-build kit(includes bearings and synchros)

And if you DO find a bent fork replace it.

Anyhow, i just had done this to my car, as 2nd was NOT at all useable, and now it drives/shifts soooo smooth (till i detonate it will excess horsepower)

The T-5 shift forks are aluminum.I think they would break instead of bend.:shrug:.