t-5 question

• Sponsors (?)

i have a 4 banger tranny in my car..they arent as strong but im only on my second one in three years of racing it..you also have to use a different pilot bearing

I don'y mean to highjack but i don't want to start another thread...

I have been looking into rebuilding a t-5 and was wondering what exactly you need as in which kit. I see all different kinds of rebuild kits but what do you need if the gears and shafts are still in working order? Do you just replace the syncros and other stuff....i seen a few great write ups and the job, it does not look that hard. Is it worth buying the $20 video and doing it yourself with the rebuild kit...or do you think it would be better to shell out the $1500 it would cost for a entire new unit?

assuming all the hard parts ( gears, shafts and forks etc) are good. all u need is the basic rebuild kit, which includes bearings, synchros, rings and shims etc.

if u feel mechanically inclined enough to rebuild it, then give it a try. i myself didnt, i COULD have, but i didnt have all the tools and the time to do it, i had someone do it for me and i got a deal so i am happy lol

if going to go as far as spend over 1k, i wouldnt waste that much on a t5, i could opt for the tko or something.

Wow the T5 innards look a lot different from the tremec 3550.

I began searching for an overdrive alternative to the C4 transmission in my 73 mustang when my C4 transmission stopped shifting to third gear regularly. I decided that I wanted to go with a manual transmission due to the relative ease of repair and rebuild of manual transmissions compared to automatics. My first choice was the T5 transmission installed in a number of Ford vehicles from 1986 to 1996. Torque ratings for the T5 ranged from 265 to 310 ft/lbs over the years and these transmissions were placed behind both 4 and 8 cylinder engines. The most desirable of the T5s are those from the 90 to 93 Mustang GTs and Mustang Cobras. After extensive research and some simple math calculations I decided against installing a T5 transmission into my 73 mustang because of the high amount of torque produced by my engine.

I decided to go with a Tremec 3550 transmission. The Tremec 3550 weighs 100 lbs. Although the Tremec 3550 uses a different bellhousing and is larger transmission it is a direct replacement for the T5 transmission. The Tremec 3550 has a 350 ft/lbs torque rating. There is also a heavy duty version of the Tremec 3550 called a Tremec TKO with a torque rating of 400 ft/lbs.