T-5 Tranny qestions

A67StangMaster

May 4, 2005
San Jose CA
I am wanting to buy a tranny and this guy is selling a t5 from a 88 gt mustang for $200 he says "130,000 miles on it. no grinding in any gear syncro's. comes with bell housing and clutch fork. "
what would i need to check if this is a good tranny i want to rebuild it to put into my 67 302 .

What would i need to look for and this really seems like a good price. any one can help me with this plz do. he lives pretty far so i want to make this worth the drive..:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I personally think it's a good price even if it needs to be rebuilt. The rebuild will cost anywhere from $300-$600. And I would definietly do a rebuild before you put it in.
Lastly, where are you located and how far away is the tranny? That would make the decision for me...not the deal. Deals can be found any where.

Check the tag and make sure its a WC model. Also, look at the input shaft very closely and make sure there isnt excessive endplay, and that the splines are perfectly straight. I have seen a few T5's with the input shaft actually twisted, the splines themselves staring to bend.

But for 200 bucks with the bellhousing, do it. Even if it needed a rebuild I would take it.

Theres really nothing you can tell from the outside. Other than the obvious cracked housing like you mentioned. I think for the price its not a bad deal at all. The only thing to maybe look at is how much movement is in the front shaft. Usually the older ones are pretty sloppy. Also if you rebuild it yourself you can buy the parts for it pretty cheaply. If you are going to have someone rebuild it and pay the high price you may want to look at some of the tranny venders. I think Astro Performance sells a rebuilt T5 for around 800 or less.

you can run the shifter through the gears and see how it feels. loose and sloppy might mean a stock shifter needs work to synchros need replacing. turn the input shaft in each gear and feel for any rough spots while turning. there shouldnt be any. one more thing is to sample the fluid, and feel for any grit in the fluid. if any then you might be looking at a rebuild. other than that you need to pull the top and make a physical inspection to spot any possible problems.

Most of the issues you can't tell from the outside. The shift forks are prone to cracking. You will want to check the dog teeth on the slider gears. Especially 1st to 2nd slider. Make sure its a World Class too. When I rebuilt mine, 2nd gear also had to be replaced.
Kevin