T-top Roof Separating

billison

I like tinted tail
15 Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
stl
ok, pulled a pic off the web that shows what I'm dealing with. Basically whatever hold the roof up where it meets the t top frame stopped doing its job.

Drivers side is flemsy and pushes down easy. It'll be awhile before I tear it down, but when I do, what is the proper fix? I've seen people weld the putter trim to the roof ( will NOT do this) , I've heard of using double sided tape on the trim ( don't want to do this) . This has to be from a weld or rivet letting go right? What's the proper fix?

I can get pics of mine tonight if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0908.PNG
    IMG_0908.PNG
    929.2 KB · Views: 329
  • Sponsors (?)

Ok, easy peasy fix if you ask me. If you'll look at the pictures here, the problem you have is just a rivet (maybe two) that have let go.

Notice the metal strip above the main roof support and underneath the skin in the second picture? The picture doesn't show it too well, but it's just a thin metal strip. That's just a support strip that rivets the support to the skin.

You'll have to remove your headliner unfortunately, maybe just lower it on that side. Drill out the old one(s?) and put a new one in. The headliner is going to be your biggest headache, not too much of a pita though.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Ok, easy peasy fix if you ask me. If you'll look at the pictures here, the problem you have is just a rivet (maybe two) that have let go.

Notice the metal strip above the main roof support and underneath the skin in the second picture? The picture doesn't show it too well, but it's just a thin metal strip. That's just a support strip that rivets the support to the skin.

You'll have to remove your headliner unfortunately, maybe just lower it on that side. Drill out the old one(s?) and put a new one in. The headliner is going to be your biggest headache, not too much of a pita though.
image.jpg
image.jpg
Awesome! I'll post back here once I tackle this.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, double post I know, but I like to end out threads. The support strip was only held with
2 of the like 12 rivets. You'll have to drill or tap out the rivets in all 3 layers ( frame, top skin, support bar) then pop the new ones in. For the front frame the sizes are 1/8 x 1x8 and the rear is 1/8
1/4, it's important that you use steel and aluminum. Mine had been replaced with aluminum and failed because of it

If you look at this build thread I did when I had a t-top, post #9 you will see where I riveted the roof skin back to the frame.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/member-build-up-projects/1999626-1985-gt-t-top.html

Now inside the roof, on the under side of where you see my rivets there is a metal bar that goes across the rivet line and the rivets go through it. It is a reinforcement bar. So, the rivets go through the frame top, then through the roof skin, then through the metal bar that is inside (the under side) of the roof. If all of the rivets came loose that bar sometimes falls down into the headliner. The roof skin gets sandwiched between the top of the frame and the metal bar, all held together with the rivets.

****sorry, just realized I pretty much said what was already said....I'm "sleep-typing"...it's 1 a.m. here...*****

Chris

Reactions: 1 users
If you look at this build thread I did when I had a t-top, post #9 you will see where I riveted the roof skin back to the frame.
http://forums.corral.net/forums/member-build-up-projects/1999626-1985-gt-t-top.html

Now inside the roof, on the under side of where you see my rivets there is a metal bar that goes across the rivet line and the rivets go through it. It is a reinforcement bar. So, the rivets go through the frame top, then through the roof skin, then through the metal bar that is inside (the under side) of the roof. If all of the rivets came loose that bar sometimes falls down into the headliner. The roof skin gets sandwiched between the top of the frame and the metal bar, all held together with the rivets.

****sorry, just realized I pretty much said what was already said....I'm "sleep-typing"...it's 1 a.m. here...*****

Chris
Hey....wake up Chris!

Reactions: 1 user