t5 FTMFL

blackened88lx

Aug 9, 2006
Connecticut
Just as the weather is starting to get really nice around here, and all my friends are getting their cars out, I grenaded my t5 last night. :mad: Car has 43k miles, I bought it with 37k. I really thought it would last a little longer than that. It showed no signs of going bad, which I was surprised at seeing how I powershift it regularly, I thought it would start wearing out and getting harder to shift or something before actually breaking. It started making a clicking sound that I thought might have been the throwout bearing or something. But I didn't feel like worrying about what was wrong, so I decided to find out if it was going to break or not. Went to powershift 3rd and kaboom. Made all kinds of grinding and popping. 3rd gear is destroyed. I drove it home not using 3rd, but it sounds like there's a pile of rocks in my tranny. Not sure what to do at this point. I'd like to get it on the road as soon as possible. I really want to do a g-force t-5, but I'm hesitant on spending that kind of money on a tranny right now. I might just find a t-5 for a couple hundred $ and run it.

• Sponsors (?)

lol you think its broken so you powershift it? and you wonder why it broke.

lol. Hey, I wasn't sure if it wasn't broken or not. So I decided to find out. I'm not really surprised that it broke, just kinda hoped it would last a little longer considering my car is stock and the first 37k miles of its life were very easy. I really don't know what to do, what do you guys think? I'm not getting a Tremec or anything, it's either another stocker, or a g-force or similar. The car will be h/c/i soon, and hopefully a bottle like Bentley429 said, so it would be nice to have something to hold up to some abuse.

Edit: I just tried to back it out of the driveway for one last beating and try to scatter the parts on the ground or something, but it locked up solid as soon as it started moving backwards haha. pos

Just as the weather is starting to get really nice around here, and all my friends are getting their cars out, I grenaded my t5 last night. :mad: Car has 43k miles, I bought it with 37k. I really thought it would last a little longer than that. It showed no signs of going bad, which I was surprised at seeing how I powershift it regularly, I thought it would start wearing out and getting harder to shift or something before actually breaking. It started making a clicking sound that I thought might have been the throwout bearing or something. But I didn't feel like worrying about what was wrong, so I decided to find out if it was going to break or not. Went to powershift 3rd and kaboom. Made all kinds of grinding and popping. 3rd gear is destroyed. I drove it home not using 3rd, but it sounds like there's a pile of rocks in my tranny. Not sure what to do at this point. I'd like to get it on the road as soon as possible. I really want to do a g-force t-5, but I'm hesitant on spending that kind of money on a tranny right now. I might just find a t-5 for a couple hundred $ and run it.

:rolleyes: hmmm....theres your problem... if you think your tranny is going out then why would your powershift it to find out....

By the time he went to give it one last beating it was already long gone, doesnt seem like a big deal to me. Everyone knows that powershifting isnt good for a T5, but many have let go just shifting hard. Plus they are barely rated for what the car comes from the factory with.

I don't really wanna go through all the conversion bs. I hear Tremecs are heavier and shift hard too :shrug: I just bought a shifter for the t5. I'd rather just put good internals in the t5 and make it just as strong as a Tremec.

I don't know if I would say that, the newer tremecs are far better trannies. You hear this, and hear that. G-force is a good way to go though.

Powershifting or not isn't really an option. To me it's an addiction, and I just wouldn't really enjoy the car as much without it. I don't think I even know how to let off and shift. I wouldn't have gained anything by taking it easy on the tranny once it started making noise. I probably would have pulled it out, did a throwout bearing, clutch, rear main, etc. Put it back in, then it blows up. It looks like I'm just going to find something used for a couple hundred $ then build something over the winter.

Hmm, I rarely powershift on the street, especially with the crappy roads here. Maybe thats why my stock T5 is still kicking. At the track is another story, it gets abused pretty bad and powershifted every pass, but on the street I dont see a real gain in it!