T5 reverse spring

stangman16

Nov 16, 2004
San Antonio, TX
Does anyone know where I can find a the spring that goes on the '91 T5 5th/reverse slider? The person who put together my transmission did not use that spring, but a much smaller one (.25" dia) and I cannot figure out how they rigged it up to work. So when I go into 5th I cannot get out of 5th gear unless I yank the crud out of it with the engine off.

• Sponsors (?)

It doesn't have enough strenght to kick it out of reverse.

Only way that could happen is the teeth on either the 1/2 slider or the reverse idler have become so worn then force the gears apart. I've seen some badly chewed idler gears before. Cheap part, only about $40

I thought that both ways used springs, the older style being a tension spring and the newer being a torsion spring. If you look at your case from the left side, is there a "bolt" (for lack of better word) screwed in just to the bottom right of the reverse switch? If so, that's the torsion spring attachment point (later style). If you don't have that, I have the older style tension spring that I can send you.

In fact, I think that they left the tension spring boss and mount point on the newer style, so you might even be able to just use the tension spring and leave the torsion spring off if you wanted.

I thought that both ways used springs, the older style being a tension spring and the newer being a torsion spring. If you look at your case from the left side, is there a "bolt" (for lack of better word) screwed in just to the bottom right of the reverse switch? If so, that's the torsion spring attachment point (later style). If you don't have that, I have the older style tension spring that I can send you.

You are right.

All the t-5's i've tinkered with have been tension spring designs. I haven't gotten to play with the other style yet so i wasn't sure what they used in the later trans

I believe you're half right. There isn't a separate bolt holding the torsion spring, it fits around the bolt that holds the 5th/reverse slider assembly.

hmm, I was pretty sure that the bolt below/right of the reverse switch was the torsion spring anchor but I didn't pay a whole lot of attention when I was inspecting the unit before I put it on my car because it was all in good shape so I didn't have to dig into it. I just made a mental note of the differences between it and my older style unit before it.

Here's a picture of the inside of my tranny - granted it's not the best one I have, but I can't find the others. I haven't pulled the trans out yet again until I get the right part to fix it. 1st through 4th works just fine :)

tranny.jpg

In the picture you can just barely see the small spring he used (indicated by blue arrow). please ignore the red and green arrows. It looks to me like a big spring should go onto the rod and connect to that little nipple by the far right of the rod.

What do you think?

90+ T5s use a small torsion spring where your blue arrow is pointing, 85-89 use the big coil spring that fits over the rail and hooks onto that nub. 90+ still have this nub even though they don't use it.

Yup, that's def a torsion spring setup. The early t-5s don't have that nub. It's easy to tell if a trans is the newer version externally by looking for the bolt on the outside of the case.

Yes you can. The provisions for the older spring are present so all you need to do is hook up one and you should be good to go.

What exactly is the prob you are having with the trans?

While driving if I put it into 5th gear I cannot get it out. I had to pull over and turn the car off, and yank as hard as I could to get it out of 5th. Reverse works just fine.

The spring in the photo I took off but wasn't smart enough to take a picture of how it was on there originally - so I think I didn't put it back on correctly. I have since ordered the other spring and it should be here Friday. Originally I took the trans apart because I broke 2 of 3 dog rings for one of the gears. And I put it back together with the only problem of me not being able to get out of 5th. Does that spring sound like it could cause that symptom? or did I foul up somewhere else..?

When you say you broke the dog rings, do you mean the synchro rings? Those are a matched set, did you put the new ones on as they came or could they have gotten out of orientation on you? Or maybe you got the OD synchro on in reverse orientation?