T5 Spacer or T5 Bellhousing Swap?

fasttback

Apr 16, 2005
Northern CA
So which is generally preferred with a T5z swap in an early Mustang? I leaning towards the spacer because I have recently upgraded my clutch and pressure plate and have a Lakewood scattershield, but if switching to the newer bellhousing is preferred I will research it more.

To install the spacer - do I have to drill the bellhousing to accept it?

• Sponsors (?)

I was going to go the same route to get an overdrive. I basically have the same setup as you with the new clutch and lakewood bell. I would recomend using the adapter just for the simple fact that youo allready upgraded the other components. You would be taking a step back if you went with the aluminum one.

I've done both, that is, I've kept the stock 4 speed bellhousing and used the adapter plate. It's the most cost effective, as you can keep your stock Z bar linkage. I"ve also used a T5 bellhousing, which requires one of three things: cable clutch, hydraulic clutch, or relocating the fork pivot to use the stock linkage. I kept the latter because I wanted a hydraulic clutch, which allows more freedom with headers. Hope this helps.

So if I'm converting from a 4spd toploader to a T-5 I can use both my current bellhousing and Z bar?

Can I also use the clutch cable I have now?

What type of spacer is needed? Bellhousing to trans? Does this enable the use of the current driveshaft or do you need a different length?

What else is needed other than a new crossmember?