Tachometer Installation Help

Dave00GT

Aug 17, 2004
New Jersey
Just bought a tachometer with a shift light just for the track, so I can set it around 5600rpm, that way I don't have to focus on anything on the dash, just focus on the track. It has instructions, red wire to ignition terminal (easy), black wire to ground (obviously) green wire to distributor coil.

Where is the distributor coil? I don't even think the car has a distributor. Can someone that has installed one on the 4.6L point me in the right direction as to where the green wire goes? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

weldonGT said:
You'll need to get another piece of hardware...called a Tach adapter you can pick one up for around $50 (I did a quick search and that was the first I found). You can go to http://www.ponyexpressperformance.com/tachadapter.html and check it out. Someone may know a way around having to buy this.

Weldongt

Thanks alot man. I'm going to consider the tach adapter, but before that I'm heading off to the Ford dealer to look at an electrical diagram of the guage cluster, in an attempt to find the signal wire for the stock tachometer. I'll post up some more info when I figure out how to do it. Sucks you need a damn adapter. Always more money!!

Dave00GT said:
Thanks alot man. I'm going to consider the tach adapter, but before that I'm heading off to the Ford dealer to look at an electrical diagram of the guage cluster, in an attempt to find the signal wire for the stock tachometer. I'll post up some more info when I figure out how to do it. Sucks you need a damn adapter. Always more money!!

What kind and series of tach are you using???