Progress Thread Tannerc91gt’s Build(s) Thread

• Sponsors (?)

That's a lot of aluminum to polish..

Are you going to tear it down before it goes in, or roll with it?
It's getting a cam, springs, pushrods, head gaskets and head studs. And a good cleaning. I'm probably 3 months from getting my turbo kit at best and intentionally building this car much slower so I've got plenty of time to make it less junkyard-y looking

Reactions: 1 users
It'll go in my truck if that happens. It would be much needed

I ended up with one of the years that has the stupidly thin exhaust manifold bolts. If it were not for that, nobody would ever know by listening to it, that it has 275,000 miles on it.

I know damned good an well that if I pull the heads, I'll not be able to leave well enough alone.

Reactions: 1 user
How many LS based motors have you had now @tannerc91gt ?

You should build the truck next :)
The truck has permanent DD duties, it just needs lifters. Or to be driven a lot less often. I need a commuter car badly.

How many...hmmm.
I think this is the 8th one I've owned personally.
3 5.7s, a 6.0, a 6.2, and 3 5.3s

Reactions: 1 users
Myself included.

I did look into it. After buying engine, trans and engine control system, it was an easy $15k+ even using the f150 engine.

Just easier to build a 302 and slap a blower on it.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
I know it's still newer tech but they're in enough stuff by now i hope it starts to get reasonable. Of course the glory days of $200 5.3s were over as soon as the junkyards caught wind of why they were selling so many so maybe not

image.jpeg

PSA:
Stop putting throttle body spacers on things. All you did was waste $50 slightly misaligning your air intake.

Unless this is the one that "spins the air" on the way in, in which case it's saving me a lot of money on turbos.

Reactions: 2 users
I ended up with one of the years that has the stupidly thin exhaust manifold bolts. If it were not for that, nobody would ever know by listening to it, that it has 275,000 miles on it.

I know damned good an well that if I pull the heads, I'll not be able to leave well enough alone.

Ugh I think they all do. I've had to do that job on 3 different trucks. Someone makes a clamp setup that can go on any corner of the motor. It's sh*tty looking but beats pulling the heads!

image.jpeg

PSA:
Stop putting throttle body spacers on things. All you did was waste $50 slightly misaligning your air intake.

Unless this is the one that "spins the air" on the way in, in which case it's saving me a lot of money on turbos.

If you stack three spacers together and put a K&N sticker on the breather box- that adds up to like =50+HP... Right?

lol

Ugh I think they all do. I've had to do that job on 3 different trucks. Someone makes a clamp setup that can go on any corner of the motor. It's sh*tty looking but beats pulling the heads!

When I had to take my heads off due to a stuck afm lifter, the rearmost bolts on both heads were broken off.

image.jpeg

Put the motor on my new engine stand tonight. Spent some quality time with my harbor freight power washer and it cleaned up pretty well. Pulled a valve cover and the oil pan and I'm very pleased. Internally it's very clean and appears to have been well maintained. Has the Gen 4 bottom end like I expected it to.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Tested out the trunk intake, might actually run it but will more likely find a crappy old LS2 car intake to run in its place.
image.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
image.jpeg

Put the motor on my new engine stand tonight. Spent some quality time with my harbor freight power washer and it cleaned up pretty well. Pulled a valve cover and the oil pan and I'm very pleased. Internally it's very clean and appears to have been well maintained. Has the Gen 4 bottom end like I expected it to.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Tested out the trunk intake, might actually run it but will more likely find a crappy old LS2 car intake to run in its place.
image.jpeg
Which Intake is better?

Is the motor in the car a junk motor?