Progress Thread Tannerc91gt’s Build(s) Thread

Which Intake is better?

Is the motor in the car a junk motor?
The truck manifold is actually better through most of the power band, it just falls on its face about 5500 rpm. The ls1/Ls2 manifolds aren't all that great at all. Mostly irrelevant on a turbo car like this one though.
Car intake is just cleaner looking and fits under the hood better.

I've got a bare 6.0 block in there now with a set of LS1 heads I had on my work bench. Just for mock up purposes. The block isn't "junk" but it's .040 over and that's completely useless to anyone.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

The truck manifold is actually better through most of the power band, it just falls on its face about 5500 rpm. The ls1/Ls2 manifolds aren't all that great at all. Mostly irrelevant on a turbo car like this one though.
Car intake is just cleaner looking and fits under the hood better.

I've got a bare 6.0 block in there now with a set of LS1 heads I had on my work bench. Just for mock up purposes. The block isn't "junk" but it's .040 over and that's completely useless to anyone.
Thanks man,was just curious.
So you are saying the 6.0 block would make a good N/A set up...lol

Edit: how's your eye? Hope it's better by now

Thanks man,was just curious.
So you are saying the 6.0 block would make a good N/A set up...lol

Edit: how's your eye? Hope it's better by now
It's got a tiny red spot left but I no longer startle women and small children with it.

I DID buy a Ford powered ford today. So all hope is not lost for me.
image.jpeg

Put a dent in my car fund but I wanted a little 4cyl/5spd to drive to work. I drive about 65 miles round trip every day and it's putting a beating on my other truck over the last few years.

Reactions: 1 users
image.jpeg

Pulled the cover off my 8.8 tonight. Previous owner didn't know what rear gears it had. 4.88s is the answer. Makes me curious what the old combo was.

Also, potentially the thickest ring gear I've ever seen
image.jpeg

31 spline mosers with eliminators.

Car has drums on the rear, I want to switch to discs but I think there's something to do with the eliminators and wheel spacing from drums to discs and I'm having trouble remembering what the catch was. Maybe I'm making it up. :shrug:

I've got a set of 3.27s on my shelf and a shim kit I guess I'll swap them this week.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Crazy the difference between the Richmond ring gear and the FRPP piece in the foreground

image.jpeg

Also spray bombed the area normally covered by the rear bumper. It was off color and starting to think about rusting. You'll never see it but it bothered me so I "improved" it.
This was while I prepped to finally put the moly rear bumper support on. Which upon realizing id have to cut off the ends sticking out I had second thoughts as to future implications. I don't intend to put the old support back on as its heavy as hell but don't want to get ahead of myself and whoopsie something

Reactions: 2 users
image.jpeg

Have to round up an air compressor to make any more progress but I haven't found any surprises yet.

This stock location fuel pick up is pretty cool. I'll have to do some research as to its efficiency but looks like a -10 feed and a -6 return. Granatelli I think?
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Pretty much all I got done today was a shortblock inspection and a fresh coat of paint.
image.jpeg

Very clean and turns over like butter. On the fence about gapping the rings.

Borrowed a compressor and swapped the new ring gear over. Still having a tough time getting the pinion gear out and need to go buy a puller tomorrow. I think I've got one for the companion flange but need one for the crank pulley. They're weird.

This sitting and waiting is not suitable for someone like me. Everything I'm waiting on is waiting on something else.

Except a transmission, which I'm dragging my feet on. Gotta ease the wife into these things, seems like less money that way :D

Narrowed it down to another FTI built transmission and a Rossler Terminator 2.

Just not sure I trust myself to build a transmission capable of what I'm after. And the big ass 4l80e on top of my fridge has lost its appeal entirely.

So I've reached a dilemma. Interested to get some outside perspective.

Basically I've been in talks with the guys who built my last turbo kit to do the kit for this car. They're "preparing" to release a foxbody kit which has been talked about for a year or so. About 3 months ago they reached out to me with an offer to give me a kit and in exchange I'm going to help advertise the kits and help lock in some pre-release sales. That was the agreement as of June.

It's now September and the only info I have is that they hope to be released before the end of the season. No pictures or details.
They're a reputable company absolutely, no concerns there.

Basically I'm going crazy. I've got a car on jack stands gathering dust that i can't do anything with without this kit or at the very least knowing what turbos I'll be able to run and a general layout.

Can't build a motor because I can't spec the camshaft. Can't get a converter because I don't have turbos or a camshaft. Can't wire up the car because there's no motor in it. Can't set up the cooling or fuel systems because...well you get the idea.

I'm almost thinking of saying "thanks but no thanks" and putting a kit together myself.
It's hard to turn down an opportunity to save a big chunk of money but I'm not sure how long I can sit on my hands.

Am I completely nuts here? I'm not known for my patience

Basically I've been in talks with the guys who built my last turbo kit to do the kit for this car. They're "preparing" to release a foxbody kit which has been talked about for a year or so. About 3 months ago they reached out to me with an offer to give me a kit and in exchange I'm going to help advertise the kits and help lock in some pre-release sales. That was the agreement as of June.

It's now September and the only info I have is that they hope to be released before the end of the season. No pictures or details.

Basically I'm going crazy. I've got a car on jack stands gathering dust that i can't do anything with without this kit or at the very least knowing what turbos I'll be able to run and a general layout.

Can't build a motor because I can't spec the camshaft. Can't get a converter because I don't have turbos or a camshaft. Can't wire up the car because there's no motor in it. Can't set up the cooling or fuel systems because...well you get the idea.

I'm almost thinking of saying "thanks but no thanks" and putting a kit together myself.
It's hard to turn down an opportunity to save a big chunk of money but I'm not sure how long I can sit on my hands.

Probably a really stupid question(s) from me but...you should expect that by now lol.. Couldn't you assemble a stock cammed NA motor - do all the wiring for the car\ecu, plumb a basic cooling system -junkyard trans and converter etc And have a running driving car you can dial in .. At least until the kit is ready and you can blow
It apart and re assemble :)

Patience. Grasshopper. I'd save the extra cash and hopefully they will come through soon. Not much time left for this year/season anyway. Grab the free kit and build it up over fall/winter and rock out come spring. Just my .02

Sooooooo, if you build as badass of a na engine as you can, what harm will this be for the turbo kit?. Go forward young dude and build badassness!

BTW, I don't recall seeing your face in @madmike1157 's thread. We want a picture of you now.....:fuss:

I'd just wait. Use the time for other stuff. Looking back 2-3 years from now, would you regret waiting? If so...wait

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Patience. Grasshopper. I'd save the extra cash and hopefully they will come through soon. Not much time left for this year/season anyway. Grab the free kit and build it up over fall/winter and rock out come spring. Just my .02
That's what I keep telling myself. The whole point of this was to have a project to work on and something to occupy myself with so its a little frustrating to spend 3 months just waiting with no end in sight but it's still too good of a deal to pass up as of now.

Just venting I suppose

Sooooooo, if you build as badass of a na engine as you can, what harm will this be for the turbo kit?. Go forward young dude and build badassness!

BTW, I don't recall seeing your face in @madmike1157 's thread. We want a picture of you now.....:fuss:
Building an NA motor would be taking steps in the wrong direction parts wise. I'll just keep twiddling my thumbs. "Luckily" I've worked a ton lately so I haven't had much wrench time anyways.

I'll look for that thread, though I'm scared of what's inside

Your car is too nice to build your own kit. Not trying to be rude, but I think our welding skillz are pretty similar. While I'm happy with what I produced, it's the equivalent of the fat girl who needs a date. It'll get the job done, just wont be pretty.

I'd wait for them to come around.

Your car is too nice to build your own kit. Not trying to be rude, but I think our welding skillz are pretty similar. While I'm happy with what I produced, it's the equivalent of the fat girl who needs a date. It'll get the job done, just wont be pretty.

I'd wait for them to come around.
I really really want to be offended by that but if anything you're giving me too much credit lol. All I've got is my flux core and it's not meant for anything that won't be under the car or hidden. I'd have more money in buying a welding rig and relearning how to weld than I would in making the kit.

Patience is stupid.

Picked up some stuff on a Labor Day "sale". Instead of having a set of stock covers welded up with AN fittings for a catch can, I grabbed a nice set of covers. Will have to relocate my coils but it'll look good. Got a timing cover as well for the oil drain lines. Wont have to mess with tapping an oil pan now.
image.png
image.png

Bought an LS1 intake off a c5 this morning as well as a stock throttlebody. Will have $100 in the intake so that helps the budget a bit.
My summit cart is growing every day I just don't have the will to checkout yet