Taurus/contour E Fan Vs. Flex-a-lite Extreme Puller Fan. Which One Pulls Most Cfm?

• Sponsors (?)

I would think that as long as a shroud and the lower air dam is in place either one of those would work fine. Ive never heard anyone having a problem with the Taurus/contour/mark VIII fan setups though. There's a write up on how to get one to fit in a stock shroud around here somewhere...

The flex-a-lite pulls 3300cfm if I remember correctly. I'm also relatively sure that the Contour, 3.8 Taurus, and Mark VIII pull 3600, 4000, and 4500 respectively. All of which will cost a fraction of the Flex-a-lite. Those 3 fans are used by people everywhere from Mustangs to even Jeeps and Corvettes.

The flex-a-lite pulls 3300cfm if I remember correctly. I'm also relatively sure that the Contour, 3.8 Taurus, and Mark VIII pull 3600, 4000, and 4500 respectively. All of which will cost a fraction of the Flex-a-lite. Those 3 fans are used by people everywhere from Mustangs to even Jeeps and Corvettes.
That is what I read also for the Flex-a-Lite. I am currently using the Extreme Puller but am entertaining the thought of using the Taurus/Contour fan. You can even get one of those from Rock Auto new for less than $100

What year Mark VIII fits an 87GT???

I believe they're all Identical in size/fitment. No particular year will just fit right in but it's an easy job. You really just have to test fit, measure and then cut the shroud to clear the water pump/crank pulley. It won't fit the diameter of the radiator perfectly but it's still a nice fit for most Fox radiators...

Personally i've been using a Mark 8 fan for years now, and i believe it's the only reason i've gotten away with running a 347 on a stock '89 radiator and never had any cooling issues. It's simply a beast of a fan. I remember reading years ago that the only other fan of this size that you can buy that puts out more CFM was a Dodge Viper fan, and good luck finding one of those cheap (or at all).

That said, i am working on a Contour setup to see how i like it, but if it doesn't keep my car as cool then the Mark will go back in.

Reactions: 1 user
Go with either fan and either a DCC or FAL controller and you will be much happier than the FAL fan. They flow better and you can pick them up in a junkyard for less than $50. Add in the VSC for $100 and the other small parts needed and you will come out about $200 ahead of the game. I just scored a Taurus fan for $20 from Upull it. There are several good write ups on the install here and on the Corral.

How are you guys running the E-fans? On a switch in the dash? Just bought another fox and in the pics, it's got an E-fan, which looks to be aftermarket. I haven't got the car here yet, but just curious. I hope the thing works. lol

If a Mark III fan is not available from a salvage yard, RockAuto has the fan and motor sold seperately. $218.58 for the both. Yes that is fairly pricy but if you price a Flex-A-Lite Extreme Puller fan like the one I have those are well over $300. Not bad for the Mark III considering it pulls 4000 CFMs compared to the Extereme Pullers 3300 CFMs.

As for a controller for mine, I am using a Flex-A-Lite Veriable Controller.

If a Mark III fan is not available from a salvage yard, RockAuto has the fan and motor sold seperately. $218.58 for the both. Yes that is fairly pricy but if you price a Flex-A-Lite Extreme Puller fan like the one I have those are well over $300. Not bad for the Mark III considering it pulls 4000 CFMs compared to the Extereme Pullers 3300 CFMs.

As for a controller for mine, I am using a Flex-A-Lite Veriable Controller.

I've read it's more like 4500cfm when on high.

As for a controller, i use one of those old school copper coolant hose probes. It slips in under the top tube and into the radiator and has a coiled copper line that connects to an adjustable dial. It was $30 at the local speed shop 10 years ago when i got my coupe. It works fine enough for me :shrug:

Oh, and don't waste your time with a Mark fan if you don't have at least a 3g alt. When that SOB kicks on your car will probably stall if you're still running a stocker.

Get a Mark viii fan on ebay even...Trim the tabs and stuff. I cant remember off hand but i believe there is a 40-45 amp draw when it kicks on. So if your alternator is under 100 amps it is strongly recommended that you upgrade.

It's actually about 70 amps. Most people that don't have controllers use a 75 or 80 amp relay and a switch to turn them on and off manually. A PWM controller would definitely be the best option though.